We're located at 300 Frontage Road, Clemson, SCSign in to contact Clemson United Methodist Church
This is a job in…
- Youth / Student Ministry
- Music/Worship Ministry
- is United Methodist
Job at Clemson United Methodist Church
Director of Youth Ministry and Worship Leader for the Vine
Clemson United Methodist Church
Clemson United Methodist Church (www.clemsonumc.org) is seeking a dynamic individual to lead our well-established and vibrant youth program and act as the music director for our contemporary service (The Vine). Located in the college-town of Clemson, SC (approximately ½ way between Atlanta and Charlotte and 30+ minutes from downtown Greenville, SC), CUMC is a growing congregation of 1000+ members with an average weekly worship attendance of 500+ and 75+ youth participating across all youth programs (Sunday Night, Small Groups, Thursday Prayer Breakfast, Retreats, etc.). The Vine is a worshipping community that meets at 10:30 each Sunday in our Christian Life Center. The service blends traditional and contemporary elements of worship. The band leads both contemporary worship songs and modern versions of traditional hymns, while we also have a time of prayer, hear an inspiring message, and celebrate the sacrament of Holy Communion each week. Our new Christian Life Center has dedicated space for youth including the Orange Peel (large multi-use room), a lounge, and game room. In addition, the CLC also includes a gym/event space and commercial kitchen and there are a variety of outdoor spaces on our campus.
Our church is dedicated to “Making disciples of Christ in the World.” Please see the following pages of our website for more information:
Our beliefs/vision statement: http://clemsonumc.org/learn/beliefs/ Staff team: http://clemsonumc.org/learn/staff-team/ Youth Ministry: http://clemsonumc.org/connect/youth/ Information about The Vine:
Reports to: Senior Pastor/Pastor of Spiritual Formation Effective:6/1/2011
Status: Full time
Salary: Commensurate with experience
The Director of Youth Ministry and Worship Leader for the Vine will provide dynamic leadership and oversight to the youth ministry program at Clemson United Methodist Church, equipping youth and their families to grow in their faith and discipleship and develop and direct The Vine Band, guide the music leadership for The Vine Worship Service, and work collaboratively for the purpose of providing an engaging, meaningful and high-quality worship experience.
• Spiritual Maturity: Demonstrates a mature faith and is constantly growing and maturing in their own spiritual life. • Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to lead others. Demonstrates the skills of active listening, particularly with youth. Productively engages and resolves interpersonal conflict. Relates easily with a variety of personalities. Demonstrates the ability to work well with others, focusing on cooperation, seeking solutions through mutual sharing. Creates an atmosphere of trust and connectivity. • Biblical and Theological Knowledge: Engages in biblical and theological reflection that is informed and sensitive to a United Methodist context. Allows for diversity of thought within the faith community. • Leadership Development: Develops leaders from both adult and youth participants in the program. Provides informed training and guidance to those who provide leadership in the program. Focuses on leading not just a small group of worship team members but the entire worshipping community in song and praise. • Organization: Understands the necessity of short and long range planning and clear communication with youth and families. Realizes that in order for goals and targets to be achieved, people affected must be a major part of the planning and implementation process. • Musical Knowledge: Demonstrates a broad knowledge of music, including a variety of genres and styles, that can be utilized in a contemporary context.
• Develop and maintain a holistic youth program for persons in middle and high school that fosters Christian growth and maturity in a community of grace. • Promote and equip small group ministries for youth at CUMC. • Continue to develop a network of spiritually gifted interns and adults to work with youth in a variety of ministries. Current groups include a parent’s advisory committee, youth leadership team, and small group leaders. • Develop and maintain strong relational connections with youth, including attending school, extra-curricular, and performance events in which youth are participating. • Nurture relationships between youth and other generational groups within and beyond CUMC. • Plan and organize opportunities for youth to be involved in missions locally and beyond the Clemson community. • Work with the Pastor of Spiritual Formation in developing a confirmation experience. • Oversee the music for worship in The Vine with respect to music selection (in consultation with the Pastor of Spiritual Formation), providing sheet music and recordings to band members, and conducting weekly rehearsals with vocalists & instrumentalists. • Collaborate with the Director of Technical Ministries to plan audio/visual needs for The Vine • Be able to incorporate a variety of styles, including some traditional music in a contemporary form. • Be personally prepared for rehearsals and worship so as to effectively lead The Vine Band. • Recruit and retain people for The Vine Band, recognizing the goal of increasing participation in worship leadership. • Purchase or otherwise obtain music for The Vine. • Select music and media in keeping with United Methodist theology as outlined in the UMC Book of Discipline and that is connected to the text/theme of the day. • Implement a plan to ensure adherence with copyright law.
• Participate in weekly staff meetings. • Participate in Church Council meetings as a non-voting staff member. • Maintain appropriate recordkeeping. • Work cooperatively with other ministry areas of the church (e.g. Clemson Wesley, Children’s Ministry/Mission Mania, intergenerational and family programs). • Follow CUMC’s Safe Sanctuary policy in all facets of ministry. • Create a music portfolio that is balanced and wide.
• A bachelor’s degree is preferred. • Ability to lead music. • Familiarity with CCLI and/or other licensing services.
• Able to move in and out of different settings and participate in activities with youth. • Able to operate church bus for youth-related activities (no CDL required). • Able to set up and take down musical instruments and sound equipment.
Submit resume and a 3-5 minute (maximum) video statement of your philosophy of youth ministry along with the names and contact information for at least 3 references to:
Anne Eldridge - [email protected]
The review of applications will begin May 18th. Position will remain open until filled.
Contact the chair of the search committee, Bob Brookover, with questions at [email protected] or 864-723-5917.
Clemson UMC places a high priority on and invests in our youth ministry program. Our goal is to form meaningful relationships with young people and their friends and families both within our church and outside of our church walls. College-aged and adult volunteers and a leadership team comprised of youth are in place. In 2015, the church opened it's Christian Life Center that includes excellent dedicated space for youth. Additionally, our contemporary service, The Vine, blends contemporary and traditional worship elements and provides a unique and engaging worship experience.