We're located at 2178 Friedberg Church Road, Winston-Salem, NCSign in to contact Friedberg Moravian Church
This is a job in…
- Youth / Student Ministry
- is Other
- has an average worship attendance of 350
Job at Friedberg Moravian Church
Director of Youth Ministry
Job Title: Director of Youth Ministry
Ministry Focus: Middle School, Senior High and College Age Youth
Administratively reports to the Associate Pastor, functionally serves at the direction of the Board of Elders and serves as a member of the Christian Education Board and the Youth Ministry Committee
Bachelor’s degree plus five years of experience leading a youth ministry program. A combination of education and experience may be substituted when skills are demonstrated.
• Agreement with our church’s mission statement, Ground of the Unity (doctrinal statement of the Moravian Church) and the Moravian Covenant for Christian Living • A strong walk with God through a growing personal relationship with Jesus Christ • Teachable, with a desire to grow in their faith and abilities • A self-starter – highly motivated • Has a passion for youth ministry • Understands youth culture today • Strong verbal and written communication skills as well as technical skills in a PC-based and social media environment • Ability to plan and organize youth programs and fund raising activities • Team player with effective relational skills • Valid driver’s license with the possibility of obtaining commercial driver’s license (CDL) • Satisfactory completion of background checks and drug screening through the provincial office of the Moravian Church in America, Southern Province in accordance with the provincial Safe Sanctuary Policy.
1. Set the vision for the youth ministry with a plan to carry it out
• Create a biblical purpose statement for the youth group including: service and evangelism, spiritual growth, fellowship, worship, biblical teaching and student leadership • Promote the vision and purpose statement among all volunteers, staff and student leaders and the congregation • Help teens establish their personal walk with God
Develop and lead programs according to the vision and purpose of the youth ministry
• Create outreach programs, activities and events • Plan and develop mission opportunities (local, national, international) • Plan spiritual growth programs, activities and events that include opportunities for students to worship, fellowship with each other, learn biblical truths and apply them to their lives • Plan programs, activities or events to develop student leaders who want to reach out, serve and impact others with the love of Christ • Coordinate and cooperate as appropriate with the Board of Christian Education
Provide pastoral care to middle, senior high and college age youth
• Get to know all middle, senior high and college age youth in church • Be present during Sunday school and participate in worship as an encouragement and example to our youth • Visit them either in their homes or on school campuses as appropriate • Be aware of concerns facing young people • Call on young people and parents in pastoral-need situations such as sickness, hospitalization, death and other situations in which they may need help or support • Coordinate supportive ministry (through pastor, parents, etc.) where appropriate • Coordinate college-age activities during holidays and breaks • Involve students in the ministry of the church as a whole, supporting and participating in the church’s vision, worship services and activities • Seek opportunity to develop relationships with youth in the community outside the church
Recruit, train and supervise adult volunteers to help them provide successful ministries for our youth
• Work with the Youth Ministry Committee to identify youth leaders and volunteers • Meet regularly with youth volunteers and youth ministry committee • Provide annual training events or conferences for youth ministry volunteers
Build and maintain quality relationships with parents
• Communicate regularly with parents to inform them of the goals and programs of youth ministry • Create avenues of consistent contact with parents (regular newsletters, bi-annual parent meetings, etc.) • Become aware of the needs of the parents and offer resources to help meet those needs • Obtain written parental permission for youth to participate in all events and trips away from church grounds
Network with other youth workers in the Moravian Church Southern Province and community
• Initiate contact with other youth workers to pray for the community • Meet regularly with other youth workers, encouraging each other, sharing ideas and experiences • Plan and/or attend area events with other youth ministries
• Recommend to the board of trustees the annual youth ministry budget which should reflect finances for trips, meetings, outings, etc. and fund raising activities • Be prudent with expenses consistent with the approved budget • Report expenses and revenues to the Church Treasurer per approved procedures • Review monthly status report of youth ministry budget with treasurer
Involvement in Laurel Ridge Camp and Conference Center
• Annual church retreat • Summer camps (junior high, senior high, mission camps) • Moravian Youth Convocation • Provincial college age events
Perform other duties and responsibilities assigned by the Associate Pastor or Board of Elders.
Friedberg has been serving the Lord faithfully for over 245 years. We are among the largest Moravian congregations in North America and, although we have a rich history and many wonderful traditions, we are not afraid to embrace new ways of telling "the old, old story of Jesus and His love." Our church campus sits on approximately 70 acres and includes a large Sanctuary, Christian Education Building, a Family Life Center (large enough for full court basketball) and a Youth Room (a large area under our sanctuary with space dedicated for ministry with our Middle School and Senior High Youth. We have a active group of volunteer youth leaders volunteers and a core group of about 35 youth (although that number frequently spikes to over 75 members and guests for special events). There is an active Youth Committee in place and solid support from our Church Boards as well as the congregation as a whole. We are looking for a Director of Youth Ministry who can build upon the strengths of our current youth ministry ... discipling students to serve the Lord Jesus Christ faithfully and share His love generously in their homes, schools, community, nation, and world.