We're located in Nashville, TNSign in to contact St. Bartholomew's Episcopal Church
This is a job in…
- Youth / Student Ministry
- is Episcopal
- has an average worship attendance of 500
Job at St. Bartholomew's Episcopal Church
Directory of Youth Formation
Director of Youth Formation:
a full time position with excellent benefit package
General Purpose of Position:
To grow and lead disciples of Christ by developing and implementing a comprehensive youth ministry program (group building, worship, formation/discipleship, mission, and outreach), while serving as a spiritual leader and role model. The DYF will accompany youth as they become mature followers of Christ, full participants in the church, and witnesses of Christ in the world.
The Primary Task:
The DYF will be responsible for planning and implementing a youth ministry program built around the youth of this parish church, yet with an eye toward reaching other Nashville
neighborhoods. This program should be:
• Formative - Bible study, prayer, instruction, and worship will be integral.
• Relational - Building relationships with and among the youth, developing programs and events that support relational ministry, and maintaining connections with alumni
of the youth program.
• Missional - Spreading the good news of Jesus Christ, having a sense of mission and purpose, and helping meet others’ physical, emotional, and spiritual needs. • Collaborative - Working alongside fellow staff members, and forming a team of volunteers to work together to accomplish the goals of the youth ministry.
Envision: Develop a vision for the youth ministry in conjunction with the Rector, church staff, and young people.
Execute: Plan, develop, communicate, and implement all aspects of the youth ministry in the areas of group building, worship, formation/discipleship, mission, and outreach.
Educate: Choose and/or develop curricula for youth (grades 7-12). Coordinate with other Christian formation offerings, including assisting the Director of Children’s Formation with 6th graders.
Equip: Mentor youth in developing leadership skills. Recruit, develop, train, support, and nurture adult volunteers to assist in every aspect of the youth ministry, and ensure adequate volunteer support and adult-to-youth ratios.
Evaluate: Support and guide the work of the Rector in an annual process of evaluating the vision and goals of the youth ministry.
a. Love the youth of our parish where they are, praying and working to help them become who God wants them to be, and challenging them to respond to God’s call to serve in their communities and the world. b. Be aware of resources for developing the youth program, and participate in continuing education and training opportunities, including for the DYF’s own spiritual growth. c. Act as liaison between the church and diocese with regard to the youth, as well as other community organizations, people, and resources that relate to youth and youth ministries. d. Coordinate and teach Confirmation classes in partnership with the rector and others, providing leadership for confirmands, sponsors, and parents beyond the classroom. e. Prepare and oversee youth ministry budget. f. Be present with youth in a variety of contexts beyond the walls of St. Bartholomew’s. g. Work in concert with other staff members and maintain a teamwork mentality. h. Ensure compliance with Safeguarding God’s Children policies in all youth ministry settings.
Qualifications and Aptitudes:
• Education and Experience:
o Bachelor’s Degree. A degree in Pastoral Ministry, Theology or related field is preferred.
o 2-3 years’ experience in youth ministry preferred, with a track record of growing disciples.
• Must complete a successful background check.
• Must possess adequate knowledge of Holy Scripture and Christian doctrine, and a solid practice of personal prayer and the Anglican theological tradition.
• Must have vision and a demonstrated ability to plan, develop, coordinate, and implement a youth ministry within the context of The Episcopal Church.
• Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills, interpersonal skills,
conflict management skills, and computer skills.
• Must possess a proven ability to work effectively with youth, diverse individuals, and teams of volunteers.
St. Bartholomew’s Episcopal Church is a suburban parish with average Sunday attendance of around 500 in the Green Hills neighborhood of Nashville. Our life together includes excellent worship and music, deep ties among parish family members, and a deliberate commitment to mission and service. The liturgical style is broadly evangelical, a mixture of the best of historical Anglicanism and contemporary resources, and our parish family is markedly diverse in theology and politics. The rector is in his first year here; the associate rector has been here approximately three years; and there is a large and experienced staff with whom the Director of Youth Formation (“DYF”) will work. A good overview of our life together may be gleaned from our website and Facebook page.