We're located at 507 N Broad Street, Chandler, TX 75758Sign in to contact First United Methodist Church
This is a job in…
- Youth / Student Ministry
- is United Methodist
- has an average worship attendance of 225
Job at First United Methodist Church
Director of Youth Ministries
Director of Youth Ministry
Reports to: Senior Pastor
Status: Full Time
The Director of Youth Ministry is expected to oversee a comprehensive, growing, first-rate ministry to youth and their parents that helps First United Methodist Church reach the Chandler area with the message of God’s love. The Director of Youth Ministry will focus on teaching God’s love and grace to our young people, 7th through 12th grade, in new and exciting ways.
• Manage and oversee all aspects of the Youth Ministry program; including, but not limited to, Sunday morning and evening programs, Wednesday evening programs, summer camp, mission trips, fundraisers. • Responsible for setting goals and plans in youth ministry • Serve as an advocate, role model, spiritual mentor, and encourager of our youth and their families. • Coordinate with church leadership to schedule the monthly and yearly calendars for the youth ministries. • Meet with youth leadership teams to discuss the status, needs and plans of the youth. • Give a special focus to the theological, spiritual and moral teaching in all areas of the youth ministry. • Research and obtain or create curriculum for youth program. Ensure the material is ordered and distributed in a timely manner and that it is ground in United Methodist theology. • Plan and implement annual functions for youth and their families for Easter and Christmas. • Plan special Sundays for youth, such as, Senior Sunday, Confirmation Sunday, and Youth Share Sunday • Responsible for the budget of the youth ministry • Recruit, train, motivate, manage, and supervise volunteers for all events of the youth program. • Ensure that supplies and materials needed for the youth program is available. • Coordinate classroom space, equipment and church van usage with other programs and with the church secretary. • Serve as a member of and attend all meetings of the Program staff. • Attend Church Council meetings • Solicit and secure the involvement of youth parents and other responsible adults in planning, implementations, leading, teaching and supervision of all youth events. • Insure that all rooms are set up on Sundays and be available to help the teachers in any way that they need. • Show staff and volunteers appreciations by notes, gifts, etc. • Attend different school functions of the youth to exhibit your support
• Consult with parents periodically to discuss aims, policies, and practices of youth ministry, and to ascertain their expectations, concerns and suggestions. • Ensure adequate publicity of youth activities. • Maintain Safe Sanctuary policy to ensure that all volunteers with youth have been Safe Sanctuary trained.
• Bachelor’s degree in a field related to ministry is preferred. Commitment to continuing education required. • Actively pursue continuing-education through the study of various material and attending conferences/classes that would strengthen the ministry of the UMC • Biblically sound and exhibit personal conduct that reflects positively on the integrity of the church • Leadership experience required • Relational ministry style a must • Excellent communication and conflict resolution skills • Possess ability to multi-task and work cooperatively with other staff, church members and outside parties • Trustworthy, confidential and have good discernment in making decisions. • Self starter and initiator of ideas and activities • Recognize and value the contributions of staff and volunteers. • Understand and exhibit strong team building skills as well as perform well as a team player.
• Able to speak in a public setting • Must have the energy it takes to keep up with youth
• Creativity and Innovation: Generates new ideas; makes new connections among existing ideas to create fresh approaches; takes acceptable risks in pursuit of innovation; learns from mistakes; has good judgment about which creative ideas and suggestions will work. • Influencing Others: Encourages others to cooperate, participate, provide resources or make decisions, in service to the work at hand; uses verbal and nonverbal skills to communicate respect for others, and to generate energy passion and commitment to an idea; creates an environment that others want to participate it. • Conflict Management: Understand the dynamics of human negotiation among conflicting interest groups and how to achieve mutual agreement; embraces constructive conflict as a means to promote growth; reads situations quickly; can find common ground and get cooperation with minimal anxiety. • People/Volunteer Management: Provides direction, gains commitment, facilitates change and achieves results through the efficient, creative and responsible deployment of volunteers; engages people in their areas of giftedness and passion. • Hospitality/Accessibility: Generates a sense of hospitality and/or accessibility by his or her very presence; communicates a sense of availability, warmth, openness and approachability; fosters natural connections between members of the youth ministry and with visitors; supports a culture of welcoming and connection in the life of the youth ministry. • Spiritual Maturity: Shows strong personal depth and spiritual grounding; demonstrates integrity by walking the talk, and by responding with constancy of purpose; is seen by others as trustworthy and authentic; nurtures a rich spiritual life; seeks the wisdom and guidance of appropriate mentors; is able to articulate a clear and consistent theology. • Teaching: Designs effective lesson plans and facilitates learning experiences in both small and large group settings; selects teaching topics that are relevant, provocative and contribute to a deeper understanding of scripture, theology and spiritual practice; uses a variety of teaching topics to maintain interest and build connection.
We are a small town church (2500) that expanded its campus a year ago to create new space for our children and youth. We are a very mission oriented church. We place a high value in raising up the next generation for Christ. We are committed to finding a good fit for our ministry team in a small town atmosphere.