We're located at 2508 Old Niles Ferry Road, Maryville, TN 37803Sign in to contact Fairview UMC
This is a job in…
- Youth / Student Ministry
- is United Methodist
- has an average worship attendance of 800
Job at Fairview UMC
Youth Ministry Director/Pastor
Job Description/Duties and Responsibilities Overview
Position: Youth Ministry Director/Pastor
Revised May 2017
Status: Full-time, Salaried, Exempt.
Hours: 40 hours per week, Sundays for Worship and Youth Programming; Wednesday evenings for Youth Programming;
Benefits: Health Insurance, Pension, Continuing Education Funds
Position reports to: Executive Director
Direct Reports: Youth Ministry Administrative Assistant, Youth Interns
It is expected that all employees will be professing Christians who support the vision of Fairview United Methodist Church. It is also expected that each employee will fully recognize and uphold the right of all church members to expect absolute confidentiality as this regards any information the employee may obtain concerning the interaction between the church and any individual in their financial and personal lives.
Organizational Relationship and Supervision:
The Director of Youth Ministries (DYM) reports to the Executive Director. The Executive Director, in cooperation with the Senior Pastor and Staff Parish Relations Committee, provides an annual evaluation of the DYM’s performance. The DYM will be responsible and subject to United Methodist polity and doctrine, informed by the United Methodist Guidelines for Youth Ministries, local church policy as determined by the Charge Conference, Senior Pastor, and Staff Parish Relations Committee. Attendance at the following meetings is expected: Weekly Staff Meetings and Church Council meetings.
To develop and lead Youth Programming (grades 7-12), reaching lost teens and encouraging young members of our faith. To build young disciples for Christ by developing and implementing a comprehensive approach to youth ministry through activities of Bible study, fellowship, group building, worship, discipleship, mission, and outreach, while serving as a spiritual leader and role model.
Overview of Duties/Responsibilities:
• Be an advocate for youth and communicate the hopes, concerns and needs of youth in the local church and community to the staff and congregation. • Attend FUMC Staff Meetings and represent visions for the Youth Program, in partnership with other Ministries as appropriate.
• Organize and lead weekly programs on Sundays and Wednesdays. • On call 24/7 for youth and their families (for emergency and crisis support). Make yourself available to youth in a variety of ways (i.e. lunch at school, attendance at extracurricular activities, visitation, times of crisis, etc.) • Design and implement curriculum for the Ministry. Coordinate Sunday school curriculum for youth (grades 7-12) and recruit teachers. Lead/supervise all teachers and volunteers for the Ministry. • Partner with volunteers on facility needs church-wide (i.e. paint/switch rooms) for Ministry and FUMC as a whole. • Increase visibility in the community (attend school functions and sporting events at local schools). Be a liaison between the church and other community organizations, people, and resources that relate to youth and youth ministries. Work with local churches and organizations during youth events to grow community presence. • Help plan, develop, and implement all aspects of a balanced youth ministry in the areas of group building, worship, discipleship, mission, and outreach. Be visionary in forecasting future growth • Organize and oversee small groups. • Mentor youth in developing their leadership skills. • Recruit and train volunteers who work with youth in all aspects of youth ministry and ensure adequate volunteer support and adult to youth ratios. Work with volunteers on visioning service projects in the community • Plan a six-month advance schedule for the Youth Program and coordinate with church calendar. • Provide regular, ongoing communication with Youth participants, outside of programming. • Be aware of resources for developing the youth ministry programming and participate in continuing education events and training opportunities. • Keep records of youth participation and manage the youth ministry budget. • Communicate in a timely manner and as effectively as possible using all available resources (text messaging, Facebook, E-mail, Website, Sunday announcement folder, etc.). Ensure communication with church staff and leadership, parents, and the congregation as a whole. • Ensure that all ministry and programming activities are conducted in a manner consistent with Church and UMC policies developed for the safety and protection for staff, youth, and youth leaders including Safe Sanctuaries policy.
Qualifications and Aptitudes:
• Must embrace Christian discipline and United Methodist doctrine and theology. • A bachelor’s degree in a related field is a minimum requirement. • Must have vision and an ability to plan, develop, coordinate, manage and implement a youth ministry within the parameters of the United Methodist Church. • Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills, conflict management skills, and computer skills. • Must possess an ability to work effectively with youth, diverse individuals, and teams of volunteers. • Prior experience working with youth and their families is preferable. • A love of youth and a commitment to help them grow in their Christian walk
Continuing Education Required:
• Frequent meetings with local Youth Ministry Pastors to gain fresh and current ideas for programming • Attend Youth Training events
Salary: Based on experience
Please submit resume, salary requirements, 3 professional references and a video or statement detailing the following: -Your vision for youth ministry -Why you feel you would be a good fit for Fairview Church.
Steve Cordle, Executive Director [email protected]
Fairview United Methodist Church is located in beautiful Maryville, TN. Fairview was chartered over 100 years ago. We are a missional, theologically conservative, welcoming church. We are transitioning from a Part-time to a Full-time Youth Ministry Director/Pastor. We are one church family worshipping in three different worship services on two campuses. Our worship services are blended on the Main campus and contemporary at our Remedy campus.
At Fairview Church, we believe we are here to “help people follow Jesus.” We do this through powerful worship, intentional faith development, and mission and service that takes us beyond the walls and into the world: locally, nationally and globally.
As a staff, we value the authority of scripture, team work, communication, and working together as a family. We recognize we are stronger together than we are working independently.