We're located at 2629 E. Common Street, New Braunfels TXSign in to contact Gruene UMC
This is a job in…
- Youth / Student Ministry
- is United Methodist
- has an average worship attendance of 700
Job at Gruene UMC
Student Ministries Director
Gruene United Methodist Church
Director of Student Ministries
Personal Characteristics: • The Director of Student Ministries is a person of mature faith with a passionate love
for Jesus, knowledge of the Scriptures, and an ability to engage students and families
with Christ’s message in today’s culture.
• This person believes their calling in life to be facilitating the Christ-focused spiritual development of students and their families and will be vision-driven.
• He/she needs to love and relate well to students, but understand that their primary role is to lead and care for the servant volunteers while equipping them to minister to
the young disciples in our midst. • He/she will partner with parents and will recruit, develop and support servant
volunteers to create environments where we build relationships with students in
6th-12th grades and help equip them for the service of Christ. • He/she understands that the best way to do this is by training, equipping, and
partnering with parents in the spiritual formation of their students.
• He/she is a teacher of teachers, an on-going learner, a supportive colleague, and a positive role model for our families and their teenagers.
• Develop trust and rapport in relationships with students, servant volunteers and parents;
• Recruit, train and support servant volunteers to effectively communicate the Gospel to students in a relevant and engaging style for worship, discipleship, evangelism,
fellowship and outreach. This may include, but is not limited to, small groups, large
group gatherings, mission trips, service opportunities, retreats, Bible studies and other
ministries that foster positive spiritual formation environments and engage students
and their families where they are;
• To nurture, foster, and create a safe environment for students and their families where they experience the love of God most powerfully through serving others and through
the relationships they build with one another, their families, and with the larger
community of faith;
• Colloborate with the Director of Children and Family Ministries to support and partner with parents in the spiritual formation of their students, training and equipping them
to have discussions with and to teach their teenagers about God’s love for them, what
it means to be a follower of Christ, and what it means to be part of a community of
faith; • Be intentional about reaching out to unchurched students in our community;
• Work with the Director of Children and Family Ministries to effectively communicate with parents, students, church community and the greater community of Gruene/New
• Communicate with the Senior Pastor regarding special events and celebrations (i.e. 6th grade welcome, senior send-off, beginning and end of school year celebrations)
• A mature Christian faith, evidence of the fruits of the Spirit, and a continuing desire for spiritual growth; • A college degree with a minimum of two years student ministry experience; or any
combination of education, training and experience which would provide that
knowledge and those skills;
• A demonstrated passion and commitment to the spiritual growth of students and their families; • Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to motivate, inspire, equip, and encourage
• A creative person who can think “outside the box” but has cultivated the ability to do so effectively from within the structure of a congregational system; • Ability to work as part of a team; • Works within a set budget
Attributes: • Vibrant faith in Jesus Christ • Loves to work with and be with students (pre-teen and teen), and finds joy in helping
them deepen their relationship with God
• Realizes that one is more effective in reaching more students as you develop other adults, students and parents as leaders
• Servant attitude • Self starter • Creative/flexible Spiritual Gifts may include:
• Teaching • Leadership • Exhortation • Discernment • Knowledge • Service • Administration Reporting Relationships:
• Reports directly to the Director of Children and Family Ministries. Also reports indirectly to the Staff Parish Relations Committee.
• Works with the Director of Children and Family Ministries and is aligned in strategy for all children in our care, birth through high school • Supervises the work of all servant volunteers in Student Ministry
• Salary commensurate with experience. Working hours include, but are not limited to, some evening and weekends, including Sunday mornings and evenings, Student
Leadership Team Meetings, Servant Volunteer Team Meetings, meetings with the
Director of Children and Family Ministries, Staff Meetings and Administrative Council
meetings. Seasonal demands on time may vary (i.e. summer mission trips,
Confirmation, Bible studies). • Following a six month probationary period, the employee will be entitled to two weeks
paid time off, based upon weekly paid hours. (Paid Time Off includes time away from
an employee’s job responsibilities for such things as vacation, sick leave, holidays, and
funeral leave.) • Compensatory time must be worked out with the employee’s direct supervisor and
must be taken within a two week time period of the accrued compensatory time.
• This is an exempt position. The employee is not entitled to overtime pay. • This position does not include the benefit of health insurance or retirement plan.
We are a congregation in Gruene (New Braunfels) TX with a relaxed 'come as you are vibe.' We have lots of Mission,Outreach, and service opportunities, small groups and a vibrant Children and family ministry.