We're located at 5125 Sicard Hollow Rd. Birmingham, AL 35242Sign in to contact Grace, A United Methodist Congregation
This is a job in…
- Youth / Student Ministry
- is United Methodist
- has an average worship attendance of 300
Job at Grace, A United Methodist Congregation
Director of Youth & Missions
POSITION DESCRIPTION & PURPOSE:
The Director of Youth & Missions (DYM) will join our ministry teams to further develop and implement a robust discipleship program for students in 6th grade through 12th grade. The purpose of this role is to encourage youth to cultivate a personal relationship with Christ and to understand the role of community in living out their faith journey. The DYM will work with youth to enhance their understanding of the communal nature of faith, inspire students to recognize the importance of studying scripture, and to convey what it means to be a Christ-like servant. In addition, this individual will teach students how to treat all people with dignity and love.
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Lead, plan, develop, and evaluate all aspects of youth ministry.
• Empower and mentor youth in their spiritual journey, encouraging students to cultivate a meaningful relationship with Christ.
• Foster caring relationships with youth and their families.
• Develop and implement youth small groups, house parties, events, activities, mission trips and camps.
• Recruit, train, develop and deploy volunteer leaders and teachers to fulfill the vision and goals of the overall youth ministry.
• Effectively promote youth events in coordination with the other program directors (i.e., children, worship, adult discipleship).
• Coordinate and facilitate a Confirmation program effectively utilizing the support of volunteers, staff and mentors.
• Continue to identify and implement best practices and resources in youth ministry programming.
• Create or select curriculum that supports our mission and doctrine of the Methodist Church.
• In conjunction with our missions team, dedicate approximately 5-10 hours a week planning and organizing year-round missional outreach efforts.
Critical metrics for success include:
- Identify and partner with community groups, businesses, and organizations to further enrich missions programming.
- A unique monthly outreach opportunity that successfully engages an increasing number of laity in local, national and/or international missions.
- Priority is placed on ongoing missional relationships rather than "one-off" projects.
• Utilize effective communication tools, resources, and practices (i.e., web page, social media, newsletter, email, etc.) to effectively promote participation in the youth ministry program.
• Involve youth in worship, fundraising, and missional/outreach opportunities.
• Ensure that all staff, volunteers, and leaders working with youth have completed “Safe Sanctuaries” training and that guidelines/policies are enforced.
• Participate in staff meetings, continuing education events, conferences, training workshops, and staff development opportunities.
• Complete other duties as assigned by the Senior Pastor.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS:
• Must be a passionate follower of Jesus Christ with a desire to continually grow in your own faith.
• Must be able to clearly articulate your own spiritual journey and relationship with Jesus Christ
• Must fully embrace Wesleyan doctrine and theology.
• Proven track record of building and growing a program.
• Ability to effectively work with youth, families, and volunteers.
• Minimum of 3 years of ministry experience.
• Bachelor’s degree in religion, education, or a related field is required.
• Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
• Basic knowledge of MS Office Suite and Mac products.
• Gifted in organization, prioritization of tasks, calendaring and time management
Please direct questions regarding this role to [email protected]
No phones calls or drop-ins please.
What We're About...
Strengthening families by making and growing highly committed disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.
Strengthening families... Grace is committed to planning small groups and sermon series that fundamentally strengthen and transform families. We believe that the teaching of the church must be grounded in scripture, prayerfully prepared and always relevant to daily life. In a world where divorce is as common and convenient as buying gas for your car, the church must speak out on behalf of marital fidelity while also providing families with the tools they need to be healthy and strong for the long run.
Making and growing highly committed disciples of Jesus Christ... The heart of our ministry is an emphases on helping searching people discover the power of an authentic and "lived" relationship with Jesus Christ. We believe that nothing else in this world can be truly transformative from the inside out. We believe that nothing else in this world can offer an eternal wellspring of hope and light. We believe that nothing else can answer the existential questions: Who am I? What is my purpose? Why do I exist?
What a joy it is to lead someone to THE source of goodness. As a church, we are committed to sharing our faith in organic and relational ways....friend to friend, coworker to coworker & neighbor to neighbor. In the context of existing relationships of mutual respect, it is always appropriate to share what you have discovered to be THE source of goodness. Who would keep that from a friend?
Transforming the world... As followers of Jesus, we know what it is to receive an amazing & unmerited gift....our salvation in Christ. The life of faith is a path of responding to that gift by sharing unmerited gifts, aid, mercy and compassion with those in need, here and around the world. By the power of the Holy Spirit, we believe that we can change the world one person, one marriage, one family and one community at a time.