We're located at 233 South Main Street, Davidson, NC 28036Sign in to contact Davidson United Methodist Church
This is a job in…
- Youth / Student Ministry
- is United Methodist
- has an average worship attendance of 800
Job at Davidson United Methodist Church
Co-Director of Youth Ministries
Davidson United Methodist Church
P.O. Box 718
233 South Main Street
Davidson, NC 28036
POSITION DESCRIPTION: Co-Director of Youth Ministries
Date Approved by SPRC: 05/06/19
STATUS: Full-time, Salaried
HOURS: 40 Hours per week
BENEFITS: Medical & Dental Insurance, 403(b) Retirement Plan, Continuing Education Allowance
General Purpose of Position:
To build young disciples for Christ by developing and implementing a comprehensive approach to youth ministry (in the areas of group building, worship, discipleship, mission, and outreach) while serving as a spiritual leader and role model for children 6th grade through college.
Organizational Relationship and Supervision:
The Co-Directors of Youth Ministries (CDYM) report to the Pastor of Faith Formation for spiritual and ministry guidance. The Pastor of Faith Formation, in cooperation with the Staff Parish Relations Committee, provides an annual evaluation of the CDYM’s performance. Attendance at the following meetings is expected: Staff Meetings, Administrative Council, Youth Council, and College Ministry Council.
The Primary Task:
There shall be a comprehensive approach to the development and implementation of the youth ministry at all levels in the connectional system of the United Methodist Church and in all ministry areas of the local church. This comprehensive approach is based on the understanding of the primary task of youth ministry to:
-love youth where they are; -encourage youth in developing their relationship to God; -provide them with opportunities for nurture and growth; and -challenge them to respond to God’s call to serve in their communities and world.
1. Be an advocate for youth and educate the congregation about the hopes, concerns and needs of youth in the local church and community.
2. Work with the other Co-Youth Director to help plan, develop, and implement all aspects of a balanced youth ministry in the areas of group building, worship, discipleship, mission, and outreach.
This includes, but is not limited to:
a. Youth Sunday School leadership and coordination, including curriculum development, teaching, small groups, activities, program promotion, and recruiting teachers.
b. Recruit youth from Davidson UMC and the community to participate in youth ministry;
c. Develop and implement Sunday/Wednesday night youth programming; and
d. Develop and lead Confirmation class for 8th graders.
3. Seek direction from and guide the work of the Youth Council in an annual process of evaluating the vision and goals of the youth ministry and directing monthly planning sessions.
4. Mentor youth in developing their leadership skills.
5. Be aware of resources for developing the youth ministry programming and participate in continuing education events and training opportunities.
6. Recruit and train volunteers who work with youth in all aspects of youth ministry and ensure adequate volunteer support and adult to youth ratios.
7. Be a liaison between the church and other community organizations, people, and resources that relate to youth and youth ministries.
8. Coordinate Sunday school curriculum for youth (grades 6-12) and recruit teachers.
9. Coordinate and teach Confirmation classes and provide leadership for confirmands, mentors, and parents beyond the classroom.
10. Lead outreach and continued support for college students and be the staff liaison for the College Ministry Council and their work at Davidson College.
11. Effectively reach youth in the community and develop a strategic youth ministry outreach plan in collaboration with Davidson UMC’s other outreach and evangelism efforts
12. Keep records of youth participation and manage the youth ministry budget.
13. Communicate in a timely manner and as effectively as possible using all available resources (email, website, bulletin, newsletter, bulletin board, social media, etc.). Ensure communication with church staff and leadership, parents, and the congregation as a whole.
14. Make yourself available to youth in a variety of ways (i.e. lunch at school, attendance at extracurricular activities, visitation, times of crisis, etc.)
15. Work in concert with the gifts and talents of other staff members and maintain a teamwork mentality.
16. Ensure that the Safe Sanctuary Policy of Davidson UMC is observed in all youth ministry settings.
Qualifications and Aptitudes:
1. Must embrace Christian discipline and United Methodist doctrine and theology.
2. Three to five years of professional youth ministry experience is required.
3. A bachelor’s degree in a related field is minimum requirement, a Masters is preferred.
4. Professional Certification in Youth Ministry in the United Methodist Church is desired.
5. Experience with Orange Curriculum is preferred.
6. Must have vision and a demonstrated ability to plan, develop, coordinate, manage and implement a youth ministry within the parameters of the United Methodist Church. (i.e. must have proven project management skills and be able to keep activates with in program budget)
7. Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills, conflict management skills, and computer skills.
8. Must posses a proven ability to work effectively with youth, diverse individuals, and teams of volunteers.
9. Must possess capability to use church membership management software to do reporting, extract data and enter updates
10. Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Publisher
Founded in 1906, Davidson United Methodist Church (DUMC) is a 4,000-member congregation located in the heart of Davidson, North Carolina (just north of Charlotte). DUMC holds three traditional worship services each Sunday. It is our purpose to lead people to the praise and worship of God, so that they will be in mission to the rest of the community as disciples of Jesus Christ. We are a family centered church with large youth and children’s programs. DUMC is also known for its large and multi-faceted Music Ministry. No matter who you are, where you have been, or where you are going, DUMC is a place to discover God’s love and grace alive each day!