We're located at 820 Colonial Avenue, Norfolk, VirginiaSign in to contact First Presbyterian Church
This is a job in…
- Youth / Student Ministry
- Young Adult / College Ministry
- is Presbyterian (PCUSA)
- has an average worship attendance of 700
Job at First Presbyterian Church
Director of Youth & Young Adults
JOB SUMMARY: This full-time position includes all aspects of leading a thriving youth ministry that reflects the mission statement of Seeking Christ and Sharing His Love. The critical task is to continue to build a relational youth ministry where youth (grades 6 -12) feel welcomed, valued and cared for as they learn who Jesus is, how to follow Him and how basic Bible truths can help them to make right choices in their living. Another important aspect of this position is overseeing assimilation of young adults into our church family. The Director of Youth & Young Adult Ministries must demonstrate a relationship with Christ in his or her personal spiritual life, including regular corporate worship with our congregation and service to Christ.
QUALITIES OF OUR DIRECTOR OF YOUTH & YOUNG ADULT MINISTRIES
• Strong Christian with a passion for Christ • Ability to recruit and manage volunteers • Energetic passion for youth and young adults • Leader of creative Christ-centered youth ministry • Vision and implement inter-generational programming to include the youth • Team builder and team player
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Leading, programming, and planning youth activities 25%
• Together with the Director of Family & Children's Ministries, support/resource youth Sunday curriculum/planning, volunteer recruitment and development • Plan and provide weekly middle school and high school youth gatherings
• Support/resource existing youth small groups and continually develop additional groups • Plan and lead youth conference trips, mission trips, retreats and other large events • Coordinate regular youth service opportunities • Plan annual special events for fundraising and fun • Facilitate any church wide (inter-generational) activities interacting with youth including Confirmation class
Relational youth ministry 30%
• Recruit, develop and train a network of leaders to nurture youth and expand youth ministry to reach more students for Christ • Regular school and individual visits with the youth both in the church and in the community to nurture friendship, trust, and spiritual growth • Support and attend youth individual activities/events (i.e., sports, drama, etc.) • Leading/participating in special event retreats, camps and mission trips for youth • Meet and communicate regularly and often with youth parents
Visioning, planning and assisting for young adult assimilation 30%
• Work with young adult leadership team to shepherd new young adults into full engagement in the church • Provide for occasional fellowship opportunities for young adults • Regular individual visits with young adults for fellowship, spiritual growth and leadership development
• Regularly meet, communicate and interact with church staff and relevant committees; weekly meeting with Director of Family & Children’s Ministries • Respond to phone calls, e-mails and correspondence in a timely, professional manner • Produce calendars and develop/manage social media strategies to build and engage both youth and young adult ministries • Manage appropriate budgets • Promote ministry programs and encourage connectedness and engagement with the church through youth and young adult ministries
• Participate in opportunities (seminars, classes, conferences, readings) that provide ongoing professional development.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
• Excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills, with a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree; professional certification in youth ministry is desired • Demonstrated experience with both volunteer recruitment and youth leadership (paid or volunteer) • Possess or be willing to obtain a valid Virginia Commercial Driver’s License (CDL)
First Presbyterian Church is an evangelical congregation in the heart of the historical neighborhood of Ghent in Norfolk, Virginia. We are a unique church with both contemporary and traditional worship services each Sunday, with congregants of all ages. Family ministry is a big part of our church identity, with an emphasis on both children and youth. Five years ago, church leadership studied with Fuller Institute and adopted "Sticky Faith" as our church philosophy. We structure church activities to be intergenerational, developing and fostering meaningful relationships within the church for our young people. The church identity is also found in both local and international outreach and service. Fifteen years ago, FPC founded Tree of Lives, serving those with HIV/AIDS in Kenya. More recently, in 2016, we launched the Urban Renewal Center, a local organization designed to awaken society to its promised wholeness.