We're located at 425 Middle Street, Jacksonville, OR 97530Sign in to contact Jacksonville Presbyterian Church
This is a job in…
- Youth / Student Ministry
- is Presbyterian (EPC)
- has an average worship attendance of 400
Job at Jacksonville Presbyterian Church
A passionate, Evangelical Youth Director who will lead our youth ministry team
ABOUT THE JOB
The Youth Director (potentially Youth Pastor, if ordained) is called to lead a team of volunteers who will disciple the youth of our church and seek to reach our community’s youth with the gospel. The main things we are looking for are the following: (1) faith in Jesus Christ and His Word, (2) a genuine love for youth and their parents, and (3) a capable leader for our youth ministry team. Per the nature of youth ministry, the Youth Director must also genuinely enjoy spending time with youth. Further, our church’s vision is to connect people with God, each other, and ministry, and we hope to lead our teens in that same vision—connecting youth with God through gospel-centered discipleship (via small groups and/or large group), connecting youth to each other (via monthly fun events, mission trips, and serving together), and connecting them with ministry (via leadership training and giving them ownership of the ministry).
Here are the basic responsibilities for our Youth Director:
● Work alongside our awesome youth elder to craft a vision for gospel-centered youth ministry that works—given the current state of youth ministry and teenagers
● Have a vision for developing our youth in the gospel and in their leadership
● Genuinely enjoy spending time with youth, seeking them out on their own ‘turf’
● Plan regular fun events for youth to attend and invite their friends to (perhaps once a month?)
● Oversee various trips throughout the year (Summer Mission Trip to Mexico, Retreats, etc...)
● Oversee 45-minute MS and HS youth classes between Sunday services that are engaging
● Develop a vision for discipleship, either through typical ‘large group’ youth ministry or by
developing a small-group based youth ministry
● Develop a leadership model within the youth ministry, so that high schoolers are trained in leadership, taking ownership of things like mission trips, service, and discipling middle schoolers
● Equip volunteers who will love and disciple youth (since you can’t do all of this on your own!) ● Teachable, collaborative work ethic, working alongside our awesome staff ● Ensure a safe environment throughout all our youth ministry, per our safety policy
ABOUT THE LOCATION
Jacksonville is an awesome small town in the Rogue Valley, which is a community of over 217,000 people in Southern Oregon. Just four miles outside of Medford, Jacksonville is a designated National Historic Landmark town of 3,000 with great coffee shops, an outstanding elementary school, a vibrant arts scene, miles of hiking trails, scenic vineyards, and the annual Britt Music Festival. Medford, meanwhile, has amenities like an international airport, great regional hospitals, and stores like REI, Target, Trader Joe’s, and Costco. Also in the Rogue Valley, Ashland, Oregon is 20 minutes south of Jacksonville and is home to Southern Oregon University, the Oregon Shakespeare Festival and Mt. Ashland Ski Area. Obviously we’re biased, but we agree with Frommer's Magazine, which named Jacksonville "one of America's top 10 coolest small towns." To see more, check out this video: https://vimeo.com/213401249
HOW TO APPLY
We hope to fill this position in time for the start of school this fall, although we know that is soon. Our current Youth Director has left a bit earlier than we expected, but this was so he could pursue becoming a lead pastor—a decision our elders wholeheartedly supported. Thus, we are hopeful to have our new Youth Director here by August, but we are committed to waiting for the right candidate.
To apply, please send your resume and references to the following:
Jacksonville Presbyterian Church is a joyful, growing Evangelical church in the beautiful mountains of Southern Oregon that averages 400/Sunday and ministers to around 30 youth. We are part of the EPC (www.EPC.org) and we love it! We are united by our common belief in the inerrancy of God’s Word and the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ. Further, we are a Presbyterian church, which means we believe in Reformed theology (think Tim Keller, John Piper, etc). And although we have seen a decline in our youth ministry over the last few years, we believe youth ministry is vital to the life of the church. As of 2019, we are continuing to grow as a church and in our children’s ministry, which gives us good hope that we will soon have a thriving youth ministry again. Further, we have a great team of leaders, parents, and staff who either love youth ministry or have youth currently in our program. Our church focuses on expository sermons, contemporary worship, serving the local community, and is blessed to have incredible facilities that were completed a few years ago and are debt-free. In the next few years, one of our main goals is to revitalize our small group ministry.
Also, this past January, we welcomed our new, young Lead Pastor, Dustin Jernigan, as well as our new full-time Children’s Director. We believe this is all God’s timing, as our church is now taking the next step in ministry vision and leadership.