We're located in Cleveland, TNSign in to contact First United Methodist Church
This is a job in…
- Youth / Student Ministry
- is United Methodist
- has an average worship attendance of 200
Job at First United Methodist Church
Director of Student Ministry
FIRST UNITED METHODIST CHURCH OF CLEVELAND, TN
DIRECTOR OF STUDENT MINISITRIES
Full-time, salaried position as Director of Student Ministries
General Purpose of Position:
To build young disciples for Christ by developing and equipping students to become passionate believers in Jesus Christ who worship, serve, learn, and share life together in community while serving as a spiritual leader and role model. This person must see this position as an opportunity to develop Christian faith and integrate students into the broader ministries of the United Methodist Church.
Organizational Relationship and Supervision:
The Director of Student Ministry(DSM) reports to the Senior Pastor for spiritual and ministry guidance. This person will also meet with the Youth Council on a regular basis for support and help in maintaining policies as set forth by Youth Council. The Senior Pastor, the chair of the youth council and the Staff Parish will provide an annual evaluation of the DSM’s performance. The DSM will be responsible and subject to United Methodist polity and doctrine, local church policy as determined by the charge conference, Senior pastor and Staff Pastor relations committee.
Love youth where they are.
Encourage youth in developing their relationship with God and with their peers.
Provide them with opportunities for nurture and growth and challenge them to respond to God’s call to serve in their communities and in the world.
In addition to the specific responsibilities listed, the position is expected to work with other members of the church staff to coordinate activities and provide support when/where necessary.
1. Help plan, develop, and implement all aspects of a balanced student ministry in the areas of group building, worship, discipleship, service and outreach.
2. Support and guide the work of the Youth Council in an annual process of evaluating the vision and goals of the student ministry and directing monthly planning sessions.
3. Be aware of and utilize resources within the church and outside the church for developing the youth ministry programming and participate in continuing education events and training opportunities.
4. Recruit and train volunteers who work with youth in all aspects of youth ministry and ensure adequate volunteer support and adult to youth ratios.
5. Be a liaison between church and other community organizations, people and resources that relate to students and student ministries.
6. Coordinate, oversee and promote Sunday school program.
7. Oversee and coordinate confirmation classes in partnership with the senior pastor and lay leadership. This will include organization of confirmands, mentors and parents.
8. Maintain attendance records for weekly student ministry programs and special events. This can be accomplished through student leadership.
9. The finances of the student ministry are reviewed monthly to ensure that yeat-to-date figures remain on budget.
10 Publicize events and communicate in an effective and timely manner using all available resources to connect with staff, leadership, students, parents and congregation.
11 Be available to students in a variety of way (i.e. lunch at schools, attendance at extracurricular activities, visitation, times of crisis, etc.)
12 All events are well publicized and organized. Event records are completed for each event, and each event’s records are updated after that event is completed.
13 Control documents have been developed and distributed in a time fashion (i.e. student directory, student ministry calendar, calendar requests, event and trip registration)
14 Ensure that Safe Sanctuary policy is observed in all student ministry settings. Follow all federal, state and local laws regarding identification and reporting of abuse.
15 Personal follow up to all first time visitors happens within a week of their visit by letter, text, email and/or phone call. An intentional plan of pursuing ‘missing in action’ students is implemented.
16 A presence in Sunday morning worship where the events and activities of the student ministry are being communicated.
17 Develop and implement a plan for a meaningful social media presence.
1. Must embrace Christian discipline and United Methodist doctrine and theology.
2. Bachelor’s Degree in a ministry-related field is preferred but not required; equivalent work experience will be considered.
3. Must have vision and demonstrated ability to plan, develop, coordinate, manage and implement a student ministry within the parameters of the United Methodist Church.
4. Must be able to communicate effectively through written and verbal skills.
5. Must possess a proven ability to work effectively with students, diverse individuals, and teams of volunteers.
6. Must pass background check.