We're located at 490 North 4th Street, Bayport, MN 55003Sign in to contact Bethlehem Lutheran Church
This is a job in…
- Youth / Student Ministry
- Administration / Coordination
- Children's Ministry
- Family Ministry
- is Lutheran (ELCA)
- has an average worship attendance of 80
Job at Bethlehem Lutheran Church
part time Director of Children, Youth, and Family Ministry
Bethlehem Lutheran Church is seeking a Director of Children, Youth, and Family Ministry for 15 hours per week. Main responsibilities would be on Wednesdays and Sundays, with time allotted for off-site planning and communicating.
Bethlehem has a strong core of CYF volunteers. Our need is for leadership, organization, and communication with our volunteers so that they feel supported in carrying out their roles.
Bethlehem is a fairly traditional ELCA congregation in Bayport, Minnesota. Bayport has a “small town” feel to it while being in close proximity to the Twin Cities. We would be a perfect site for someone interested in church work while going to school.
Please contact Pastor Rich Larson for a one-on-one visit. Then if it feels like a good fit the candidate can have a formal interview with the CYF search team.
Pastor’s phone 651-485-8676
Email [email protected]
Bethlehem Lutheran Church
POSITION TITLE: Coordinator of Children, Youth and Family Ministry
STATUS: Part-time; 15 hours/week; Exempt
POSITION REPORTS TO: Senior Pastor
Bethlehem Lutheran Church of Bayport, MN (ELCA) is seeking a qualified and enthusiastic PT coordinator for children, youth and families, ages birth through 12th grade, with primary responsibility for Sunday School, Wednesday evening Confirmation programs and Senior High programming. This coordinator works in tandem with the pastor and supervises several volunteers. The Coordinator of Children, Youth and Family Ministries demonstrates a belief in Jesus Christ by sharing their faith with others, worshipping regularly, and having an open heart, growing mind, faithful spirit and enthusiasm for ministry.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: In coordination with the Children, Youth and Family Ministry Team and other volunteers, be responsible for the following:
• Record keeping/registration of the youth and their families • Assist the Office Administrator in conducting background checks on Youth and Family volunteers • Organize faith educational curriculum
• Keep track of spending and budgets that pertain to Youth and Family ministry • Manage and keep track of fundraising for Youth and Family ministry
• Attend weekly staff meetings • Attend and lead monthly Children, Youth and Family Team meetings • Develop adult leaders to serve various age-levels
Communication (internal and external)
• Develop one-on-one faith-based relationships with children/youth and their families • Encourage the involvement of congregational members in children's and youth ministry • Recruit and train enthusiastic, qualified leaders • Occasionally be involved with Sunday morning worship leadership in coordination with the pastor. • Communicate various programs through personal invitation, e-blasts, weekly bulletin, the church website and social media
• Sunday School: Curriculum selection and implement program for ages 3 through grade 5 • Wednesday After-School Kids program (kids from a local elementary school): 3:15-5 pm.
• Along with other staff and volunteers, plan special events which annually include: (Rally Day, Sunday School Christmas program, Second Sunday Suppers, Lenten Suppers, etc.) • Vision, implement and manage the summer children's VBS week (Age 3-Grade 6 with teen and adult leaders).
Confirmation/Middle School (Grades 6-9):
• Select curriculum and implement weekly Confirmation ministry on Wednesdays from 6-7:30 pm for grades 6-9 in partnership with the pastor • Coordinate with pastor, student involvement in worship leadership (music, ushering, AV, acolyte) • Organize the volunteers who serve the Wednesday evening confirmation suppers (5:15-6 pm)
Senior High (9-12 Grade): (see future program goals)
• Make yourself available to connect with students and parents within the programs • Network with other youth leaders and organizations in the Stillwater community and synod • Effectively recruit volunteers by building a network of contacts and effectively assessing their skills and abilities. • Create and oversee policies and procedures to provide a safe, quality environment for children and youth.
- Future Program Goals
• Milestone Ministry: Along with the pastor, organize milestone events for children and youth faith education, (Baptism, First Bibles, First Communion, Confirmation, Graduation, etc.) • Organize summer Bible camp week for 2nd - 5th grade children • Plan and lead an annual summer mission, youth gathering, adventure, senior high trips • Develop a regular monthly gathering of Sr. High students for faith learning, service, and relationship building • Recruit students for worship leadership (music, ushering, AV, acolyte)
SET HOURS AT CHURCH: Sunday mornings 7:45-11:45 am, including regular worship (9-10 am); Wednesdays 2:00 pm – 8:00pm; plus 5 hours on a third day each week for planning and connecting with other staff (negotiated with the pastor).
• Bachelor of Arts degree preferred but not expected • Demonstrated knowledge of scripture and ELCA Lutheran doctrine • Demonstrated experience of having successfully worked with aspects of this position in other settings • Ability and commitment to work collaboratively with volunteers and staff • Proficiency in Microsoft Office; Word, Excel and PowerPoint are helpful. • Effective written and verbal communication skills • Demonstrated skills in areas related to teaching and leading large group events
• Be a faithful follower of Jesus Christ with a demonstrated passion for working with children, youth and adults • Embrace Bethlehem’s Lutheran Church's mission statement and the congregation’s goals with a supportive perspective. (Bethlehem’s goals are: "In Worship we Grow; In Stewardship we Care; In Ministry we Serve and In Mission we Reach Out to Others”)
• Participate in annual training and development opportunities as available • Be available to serve a variety of hours including week days, evenings, and weekends • Demonstrated professionalism and ability to maintain confidentiality • Present a positive attitude and relational skills to both youth and adults • Be self-motivated, independent, proactive, highly organized and ability to take initiative
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Interested applicants please send cover letter and resume to:
Bethlehem Lutheran Church
Attn: Rev. Rich Larson
490 4th Street N.
Bayport, MN 55003
Or email: [email protected]
Part Time Coordinator of Youth and Family Ministries, 15 hrs/week, with some flexibility for extra hours, Bethlehem Lutheran Church, 490 North 4th Street, Bayport, MN, includes working with confirmation, after school program, and Sunday School, send resume to Pastor Rich Larson and request job description, [email protected], or call 651-439-3450.
Bethlehem is a fairly traditional ELCA congregation in Bayport, Minnesota, of about 550 members. Bayport has a “small town” feel to it while being in close proximity to the Twin Cities. We would be a perfect site for someone interested in church work while going to school.
We believe strongly in being a partner in the community, a key player in the neighborhood. We serve a monthly community meal. We run a shelter house for families in transition, called Dane's Place. We send volunteers regularly to a local homeless shelter and the local food shelf. We do a community service project at least twice a year.
We also believe in high quality worship, which ranges from traditional Lutheran liturgy and hymns with a pipe organ, to contemporary music with a praise group, made up of piano, guitar, and singers.
Youth and Family ministry is also a priority. We are experiencing a recent surge in participation and interest, so it is a good time to come on board!