We're located at 418 W. Touhy Avenue, Park Ridge, ILSign in to contact First United Methodist Church of Park Ridge
This is a job in…
- Youth / Student Ministry
- is United Methodist
- has an average worship attendance of 120
Job at First United Methodist Church of Park Ridge
Director of Youth Ministries Part-time
Part-time position, 12-15 hours, weekly to include Sunday morning program.
Job Summary/Purpose: The youth director coordinates ministry with and to students in middle and high school that serves to deepen the faith development of youth.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Serve to coordinate ministry of education for the faith formation to include the selection of curriculum, recruitment of adult volunteer teachers and scheduling in cooperation with pastor, Director of Children & Family Ministries and Discipleship Ministries Team
2. Serve to coordinate ministry of youth fellowship with pastor, staff, parents, adult volunteers and Discipleship Ministries Team which includes nurture of students, faith development, social activities, mission and service projects
3. Develop and manage effective and appropriate communication channels: email, text, website, social media, etc.
4. Develop and manage youth calendar of events
5. Provide staff leadership and/or support to youth fundraising events
6. Manage and monitor youth attendance and involvement in all church related ministries and events
7. Oversee youth ministries program including mission trip(s) and related budgets
8. Attend and participate in staff meetings and general event ministries of the church as availability permits
9. Develop and recruit volunteers for youth related events and ministry needs
1. Abide by the tenets of the church’s Safe Sanctuary policy and seek to provide leadership for its continued usage
2. Work with communication and office staff members on promotional materials for ministry area
1. Must be 21 years or older
2. Associate’s degree (A.A.) or equivalent from two-year college or technical school or six months to one year related experience and/or training or equivalent combination of training and experience
3. Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office, Google Docs and the internet are required.
4. Reasoning skills: ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form. Ability to problem solve and/or work cooperatively in seeking solutions.
5. Possess the ability to organize and prioritize work
6. Demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills
7. Demonstrate professional manner at all times
8. Dependability is expected
9. Will submit to three-month review and six-month review approximate to the day of hiring
1. Possess spiritual maturity.
2. Physically able to perform the duties.
3. Appropriate dress is required. Casual attire, nice jeans (no tears, holes), appropriate to represent church.
4. Possess the ability to organize and prioritize work.
5. Possess a sense of mission and purpose in fulfilling this position.
6. Respectful, friendly, and exhibits appropriate levels of professional confidence.
7. Accept the welcoming statement, vision and mission of The First United Methodist Church.
8. Able to self-monitor, initiate and provide feedback for goal-setting and job development.
The Director of Youth Ministries is hired by the Staff Parish Relations Committee who sets compensation, reviews job performance and decides upon issues of compensation and termination.
Letter of interest, resume and references can be sent to the Rev. David Aslesen: [email protected] or mailed to: First UMC of Park Ridge, attention: Rev. Aslesen, 418 W. Touhy Ave., Park Ridge, IL 60068.
Job posted 7/15/19
For over 160 years, First United Methodist Church has striven to live out its core values of love, compassion and spiritual growth and is the home of many distinguished past and present Park Ridge residents. Boy Scout Troop #1, the first troop for the Boy Scout organization, was founded in the Church and still uses our facilities today. Avenues To Independence, a local non-profit which assists the developmentally disabled, began in our church in 1953. The Park Ridge Teen Center offered a safe place for the youth of our community for more than 25 years; staffed by volunteers, it was located at the Church.
Our church is active in social issues through hands-on projects in Chicago neighborhoods and work camps throughout the Midwest, on native American reservations and in Appalachia. We support Volunteers in Mission, and for more than 100 years, the current unit of the United Methodist Women and its predecessor groups have joined women throughout the world to advocate for the rights of women and children through participation in the largest women’s mission-giving effort in the world. More recently our church members have been helping support full inclusion of the LGBT community in the life and ministry of the UMC, as well as helping support African missions to Burkina Faso, Tanzania, and Senegal.
We see all persons as created in the image of God and bearing sacred worth and dignity.
We invite all persons to participate fully in the life of our church regardless
of their age, race, ethnic background, sexual orientation, gender identity,
physical or mental condition, marital status, family situation, or economic standing.