We're located at 201 S. Locust St, Denton, TX 76201Sign in to contact First United Methodist Church
This is a job in…
- Youth / Student Ministry
- Assistant/Associate pastor
- is United Methodist
- has an average worship attendance of 800
Job at First United Methodist Church
Director/Associate Pastor of Youth Ministry
Director of Youth Ministry/ Associate Pastor of Youth
First United Methodist Church, Denton, TX
First United Methodist of Denton (FUMC) is seeking a Director of Youth Ministry or an Associate Pastor of Youth to oversee and provide leadership in developing and implementing youth ministry programming that encourages faith formation and spiritual development in the lives of 6th - 12th grade students.
The Director of Youth Ministry must be an enthusiastic person who has a passion for leading youth to become disciples of Jesus Christ. The youth program at FUMC is dynamic and growing, with numbers upwards of 75 active youth involved in Youth Council, worship, missions, year-round retreats, Sunday School, and Sunday and Wednesday evening programs. FUMC youth are committed to including all people, sharing God’s love, learning, worshiping, praying, singing and playing together, and reaching out to those in need.
The Director of Youth Ministry must be a committed Christian who models faithful living and a person who exhibits humility, teachability, accountability and servant leadership in all relationships. The Director of Youth Ministry must lead in a way that supports the mission, vision, and ministries of First United Methodist Church of Denton.
Bachelor’s degree required
• Significant experience working with youth – including diverse and special needs students and their families • Must be able to demonstrate the ability to plan, develop, coordinate, manage and implement a youth ministry program • Pastoral counseling experience highly desirable • Ability to relate well and develop strong relationships with youth and their families • Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills, relationship and conflict management skills, be highly flexible, and have the ability to work as a member of a team • Must have a skill set that includes a wide variety of recruiting strategies effective with youth and adult volunteers • Excellent organizational skills • Proficiency in multiple methods of media communication including but not limited to Microsoft Office Suite and social media platforms
Duties and responsibilities:
Collaborate with clergy, staff, and laity to carry out the church’s mission, vision, and ministry particularly as it relates to youth and their families
Participate in weekly staff and worship planning team meetings as a representative of the youth program, and to ensure the inclusion of youth in the worship life of the congregation
Cultivate and communicate the value of the youth ministry program to the church and the community
Develop and administer all budgets related to youth programming and staffing – including discretionary funds
Recruit and supervise youth staff, adult youth counselors, youth Sunday School teachers, and other youth volunteers while offering support, training, and retention
Oversee publication of all activities for youth (including District and Conference) events as appropriate
Work with Conference staff to write curriculum and direct youth camps and Bible retreats
Select, obtain, and create curriculum for Sunday School youth programs, including the Confirmation program, and adapting programming for special needs students
Direct special programs and events – human sexuality seminars, mission trips, retreats, etc.
Coordinate the youth program with the Credo Youth Choir, and with Council on Ministries to include youth volunteers in major church events
Additional duties will be assigned for clergy - assist in worship leadership, liturgy, preaching, and administering the sacraments
This is a full-time salaried position with benefits. FUMC offers a competitive salary that is commensurate with experience.
• Paid time off (PTO) • Health Insurance with HSA account, Life Insurance, Short and Long Term Disability Insurance • Flexible [weekday] schedule • Pension with church matching This position listing will remain open until filled. Qualified candidates should send resumes to Alan Heath at [email protected] Candidates chosen for an interview should be prepared to send work product samples – examples follow:
• Mission trips • Confirmation process • National UMC conference for youth
FUMC Mission Statement:
We are a community of believers committed to living out our vision – to shine God’s love into every life! We are a vibrant and authentic church family of talented, creative and imperfect individuals who gather as the people of God, united by the Holy Spirit, living faithfully as disciples of Jesus Christ.
We are the only "downtown" church in Denton with a diverse multi-generational membership. We believe that our children and youth are not only the future of the church, but also a very important part of the present. Our ministry to and with youth has a strong tradition a growing young people to become committed followers of Jesus and in outreach through a strong emphasis on youth involvement in missions.