We're located at 2220 High House Road, Cary, NCSign in to contact Cornerstone Presbyterian Church
This is a job in…
- Youth / Student Ministry
- is Presbyterian (PCUSA)
- has an average worship attendance of 159
Job at Cornerstone Presbyterian Church
We are looking for someone who loves Jesus and wants to help teenagers grow in their relationship with him.
The Youth Director is responsible for all youth activities (grades 6-12). The Youth Director will assist in recruiting adult volunteers, plan and implement activities, and assist youth to develop a closer relationship with Jesus Christ. The Youth Director will work closely with the Youth Discipleship Ministry Team to further the mission of our church with our youth, to, “Reflect Christ, Grow Together and Bring God Joy”.
- Ensure that the youth ministry of Cornerstone Presbyterian Church is conducted in a manner consistent with the mission, vision, values and goals that are defined for Cornerstone.
- Develop and maintain a position of authority and respect while working with the youth.
- Agree to follow decisions from the church leadership. Including supporting those decisions in front of the youth.
- Lead youth to develop a Christian world view and to recognize the influence that secular culture has on their lives.
- Work with Student Ministry volunteers in program preparation
a. by ensuring that worship, community and mission are included in curriculum
b. by beginning and ending all meetings in prayer,
c. by creating safe environments for gathering,
- Communicate with parents and church members concerning the content of Student Ministry curriculum, ministry needs, and personal discipleship through newsletters, face to face meetings, etc.
- Participate in the local network of youth group leaders from other churches to receive encouragement, gain exposure to other teaching ideas, provide support to others and grow spiritually.
- Integrate youth into the broader life of the church.
- Be attentive to the special needs and concerns of teenagers and structuring programs to address those issues in a Christian context.
- Equip and lead youth to reach out to other youth who are unchurched.
- Be a role model for the youth by demonstrating a Christ-like attitude in all circumstances, to the best of one’s ability.
- Help youth to develop and enhance their personal relationships with Christ and with each other.
- Develop leadership skills within the youth by enabling them to plan and conduct some of their own activities, as appropriate.
- Keep a brief log of activities performed by date in association with the job. The log should include a brief description of lesson topics.
- Schedule relational time during the week.
a. Minimum 4 personal contacts a week
b. Includes phone conversations and in person visits; does not include text messages, email or internet chat
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities:
1. Prepare objectives, goals, strategies and measurements for the youth program, and to get them approved by the Pastor.
2. Prepare in advance for all meetings and activities.
3. Research resource materials to select and/or develop curriculum, object lessons and activities for youth group.
4. Plan and coordinate special events, service projects, fund raisers and other activities for the youth group throughout the year. The Youth Director is encouraged to recruit additional help for these activities as needed.
5. Lead planning for retreats and mission trips.
6. Help recruit and lead Student Ministry volunteers
7. Be in attendance Sunday mornings for Worship and Sunday school
8. Lead Youth ministry for youth ages middle school and high school and overseeing Fellowships (Sunday morning small groups) for youth ages middle school and high school.
9. Report monthly to the Pastor, including a summary of activities from the previous month, upcoming plans for future months and any issues that need to be resolved.
10. Ensure that someone, which may be one of the youth, prepares an article on Youth group activities once a month for the church newsletter.
11. Participate in an annual performance/personal development review with the Pastor.
12. Decorate and respectfully care for the youth meeting facilities.
Cornerstone is a young church, chartering in 1998. We sit on 13 acres of beautiful land that can be used for many different activities. We are the only mainline church on the western side of Cary. We are in an area of Cary, NC that is growing rapidly because of Research Triangle Park. We have members from all over the world: China, India, Ghana, South Africa, Brazil, the United Kingdom, Russia, and all over the United States. Our membership has an average age in the low 50's, so we tend to be younger than many churches. We have two services, one traditional at 9:00 and a blended service at 11:00. Our music director is a jazz pianist. We have excellent musians to accompany him, with a stand-up bass player, a drummer, acoustic guitar and electric guitar and saxophone, as well as wonderful vocalists. Our youth group, 6th-12th grade, meets each week from 5-7 PM. Our senior high go on a mission trip each summer. We have gone to Chattanooga, Nashville, New Orleans, western North Carolina, and this past summer we went to Costa Rica. Our teenagers come to us from many different high schools and middle schools. Each fall our teenagers go on a retreat to the mountains in NC. The youth group leads worship, youth Sunday, the last week of February. We allow our graduating seniors to preach 3-5 minute homilies at the end of the school year. Our county school system, Wake county, has some year round elementary and middle schools, which means we have some of our middle school kids in school during the summer.