We're located in Missoula, MontanaSign in to contact First Presbyterian Church - Missoula
This is a job in…
- Youth / Student Ministry
- Children's Ministry
- Family Ministry
- is Presbyterian (PCUSA)
- has an average worship attendance of 200
Job at First Presbyterian Church - Missoula
The Director of Children, Youth, & Family Ministry will lead a Christ-centered, Bible-based intergenerational ministry to children, middle and high school youth and their families on behalf of maturing disciples of Jesus Christ to surprise Missoula with C
Known in this western Montana college mountain town for the fly-fishing family Maclean of A River Runs Through It fame, First Presbyterian Church of Missoula is today a growing, Christ-centered community of children, youth and adults called to surprise Missoula with Christ’s astonishing love. That means deepening our roots in the truth and mercy of Jesus, growing together in the joy of inter-generational relationships, and bearing tangible witness to our hope through showing up to serve our city. As our culture changes rapidly around us, we’re also committed to knowing our neighbors and ever adapting our way of being church better to speak the language of good news. As we seek to be faithful, winsome disciples, we’re grateful to partner with the Missoula Interfaith Collaborative (helping to build a new facility to house homeless families) and with Whitworth University (helping to build an onramp to Christian spirituality, community, and mission in Missoula).
The Director of Children, Youth, & Family Ministry will lead a Christ-centered, Bible-based intergenerational ministry to children, middle and high school youth and their families on behalf of maturing disciples of Jesus Christ to surprise Missoula with Christ’s astonishing love. The Director will partner with the Pastor and the Session’s Forming Team to envision, develop, implement and resource ministries related to the belonging, spiritual forming, and sending of children, youth, adults and families while holding broad ministry responsibilities (and connecting various ministries) for the faithful growth and winsome witness of the whole church family. Reports to the Pastor, Head of Staff.
Position is fulltime, salary dependent on experience. Benefits include: health insurance; optional dental coverage; flexible spending account; accrual of paid time off and emergency medical leave; study leave; designated holidays; & optional participation in a 403b retirement savings plan.
• Oversee Christ-centered ministries to children from birth to 5th grade and their families • Invest in the 4th and 5th grade ministry (Grow) through monthly gatherings and special events, helping to support the leaders of Grow • Support and develop leadership for youngest children participating in Generation to Generation (a creative intergenerational Sunday experience of Christian community, formation, and sending)
Middle School and High School Youth
• Direct comprehensive Christ-centered ministries to middle and high school students, and their families • Develop personal relationships with middle and high school students, providing them with spiritual nurture and pastoral care and support • Organize and facilitate weekly middle and high school group meetings: o Organize Bible studies and facilitate topical discussions
o Facilitate recreation, community-building activities, prayer, and worship leadership in partnership with student leadership and adult mentor teams
• Organize and facilitate fall and winter retreats, summer mission/adventure trips, and occasional special events, including fundraising for mission Children & Youth Leaders
• Develop personal relationships with adult mentor team(s); recruiting, nurturing, training, and encouraging them to minister relationally with students • Draw leaders together in regular meetings for Christian growth, Christian community, and Christian ministry leadership training
• Grow parent involvement, and minister to parents through intergenerational ministry
• Support the participation and leadership of children, youth and families in worship • Be responsible for one out of two Kids’ on the Steps • Preach 4-6 times a year • Coordinate Christmas Eve Family Worship Service with Worship Staff • Oversee supplies/worship aides for children
• Integrate children and youth into the worship, mission, and life of the larger church and rally the church around them for relationships that matter for the gospel • Support the formation of the Generation to Generation (G2G) community • Collaborate in pastoral care • Help coordinate all-church event planning with Program Support & Belonging Team • Serve as Sunday morning ‘host’ and knowledgeable, pastoral presence • Provide regular communication to children, youth and families, the church body, and staff regarding ministries and programs for which you are responsible • Collaborate in making Sunday morning announcements/invitations • Serve as pastoral presence when Pastor is away
Qualifications of Resident Worship Director
• Deep and abiding love for Jesus Christ and a joy to encourage faith in others • Passion, relational energy, and creativity to pursue relationship with students, mentors, and families in service to an intergenerational congregation • Knowledge of and insight into Scripture, and ability to teach and apply it to everyday life • Education/prior experience in the leadership of children, youth and family ministry • Can-do, team-player attitude with an ability to laugh at one’s self and with others • Administrative skills for effective ministry: organization, attentiveness to detail, ability to plan ahead yet be flexible to change • Clear verbal and written communication • Comfort using electronic communication (phone, e-mail, text). Comfort with word processing, spreadsheets, presentation, musical notation and projection software • Passage of background check. Completion of Abuse Prevention And Response Team training
Please send a resumé, a letter articulating your interest and experience, and 3 references to Jo Ruby at [email protected] or First Presbyterian Church, 235 S Fifth St W, Missoula, MT 59801
We are the "River Runs Thru it" church! We have a vibrant congregation who invests our community, members, children and youth. Our children/family ministry is a growing, exciting one and our youth ministry has a ling history in our community of mission work. We love living where we do and embrace all that is Montana!