We're located at 333 Cedar Road, Chesapeake, VA 23322Sign in to contact Great Bridge Presbyterian Church
This is a job in…
- Youth / Student Ministry
- is Presbyterian (PCUSA)
- has an average worship attendance of 450
Job at Great Bridge Presbyterian Church
We are looking for a dynamic and engaging leader who is grounded in Biblical truth and able to effectively lead our young people to a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
Great Bridge Presbyterian Church
Director of Youth Ministries
Lines of Accountability
• The Director Youth Ministries is employed by and accountable to the Session of Great Bridge Presbyterian Church.
• The Director of Youth Ministries is the ministry chair of the Youth Ministry Leadership Team • The Director of Youth Ministries supervises the youth ministry interns and adult volunteers • The Director of Youth Ministries works collaboratively with the Director of Children's Ministries to ensure a continuity of programming and purpose
• The Director of Youth Ministries collaborates with the Elder Liaison for Youth in all matters involving the GBPC Session and keeps the Elder informed so that he/she can be supportive
• As a member of the church staff, the Director of Youth Ministries' immediate supervisor is the Head of Staff.
Summary of position:
Reporting to the Head of Staff and working collaboratively with others, the Director of Youth Ministries leads the
middle-schoolers and high-schoolers of Great Bridge Presbyterian Church to a closer friendship with Christ, discipling
them in the Christian faith, encouraging them to worship, and equipping them what it means to be a follower of Christ
and member of the body of Christ, the church. To accomplish these ends, the Director of Youth Ministries leads and
organizes opportunities for fellowship, biblical teaching, worship, discipleship, evangelism, service, and engagement
in other ministries of the church.
1. Develop goals for the GBPC youth ministry that advance the vision and mission of the GBPC youth ministry
and Great Bridge Presbyterian Church:
• At least biannually, assess the youth ministry—its goals and outcomes—through methods involving students and parents, including families not involved in the youth ministry
• Develop and Implement the goals of the youth ministry strategic plan • Communicate the vision and mission statements to all volunteers, staff, student leaders, parents, and the congregation
• Suggest changes as necessary to the youth ministry vision and mission statements. • Ensure that the GBPC webpage for the youth ministry and gbpresyouth.org are accurate and up to date, collaborating with the GBPC Media Secretary as necessary.
2. Develop and lead programs according to the vision and mission of the GBPC youth ministry
• Serve as the leader of the youth ministry leadership team. • Develop and lead programs for youth ministry for students in grades 6 through 8 and grades 9 through 12
• Create outreach programs, service activities, and events • Plan and implement spiritual growth programs, activities, and events that include opportunities for youth to worship, fellowship with each other, learn Biblical truths and apply them to their lives
• Plan and implement programs, activities, or events that develop students who want to reach out and serve others with the love of Christ
• Meet regularly with GPBC young people, discipling them in the faith and equipping them as followers of Christ
• Develop relationships with unchurched youth as time provides • Oversee curriculum selection for youth education programs • Supervise and mentor the youth ministry intern, leading in the selection process for the intern Revised 01/20
• Keep parents informed, creating avenues of consistent contact with parents such as regular enewsletters, town hall meetings, etc. • Coordinate confirmation classes with the pastors 3. Involve students in the ministry of the church as a whole, supporting and participating in the church’s vision,
worship services, and other activities
4. Recruit and train adult volunteers for the youth ministry programs and leadership team
• Meet regularly with youth volunteers and staff • Meet monthly with the youth ministry leadership team • Develop, seek out, and coordinate training events for the youth ministry leadership team and adult volunteers, as appropriate
5. Network with other youth workers in the community for professional growth and support
6. Set and oversee the youth ministry budget
• Set a budget that reflects the values of the youth ministry vision, mission, and goals • Be prudent with finances, staying within budget • Oversee the Youth Ministry Scholarship selection and award 7. Attend regular church staff meetings
8. Provide a weekly report to the senior pastor and Elder Liaison as requested
9. Participate in personal professional development activities
• Agreement with the youth ministry vision, mission, and values • At least a bachelor’s degree (B.A. or B.S.) from an accredited four-year college or university, or equivalent • Coursework and/or training in youth ministry • Competent in 21st century communications methods and technology (texting, Facebook, etc.) Required Theological Qualifications:
• Believe the following: -- The Bible is the inspired and authoritative Word of God, in keeping with GBPC values -- Salvation is available only through Christ’s atoning sacrifice on the cross, in keeping with GBPC values. -- The Apostles’ and Nicene Creeds • Agree with Great Bridge Presbyterian Church Session that marriage is between one man and one woman and that homosexual practice and the ordination of gays or lesbians are not approved by Scripture. Since
Christ calls believers to love everyone, loving the sinner but not accepting the sin is essential for the person
in this position.
• Believers are called to faithfulness in marriage and chastity in singleness Desired Qualifications:
• At least three years’ youth ministry experience in a growing youth ministry • Experience managing others • Familiarity with PCUSA and supportive of the Reformed tradition Personal Qualifications and Characteristics:
• A strong walk with God through a growing personal relationship with Jesus Christ • Teachable, with a desire to grow in faith and abilities • A self-starter – highly motivated • Excellent organizational skills • Passion for youth ministry • Understands youth culture today • Strong verbal and written communication skills • A good role model • Team player with effective relational skills (works well with others)
We are a thriving multigenerational church with vibrant Children's, Youth, Adult, Music and Missions ministries.
We value God's amazing gift of grace and seek to share that grace with others. We value the Bible as authoritative for our lives and provide many opportunities for individuals and groups to grow in their knowledge of God's Word. We value prayer for decision-making and deepening our relationships with Jesus Christ. Our final value is that of community, and we have a thriving small group ministry that encapsulates all of our values with their emphasis on "Word-Share-Prayer."
We are guided by the knowledge that the effectiveness of a church cannot be measured by the pastors called, staff hired, building built, programs in place, or number of members. The effectiveness of a church is measured by the lives that are transformed by the work of the Holy Spirit.