I live in Silver Spring, MD, and am willing to relocate.Sign in to contact Timothy Atkins
I would like to work in…
- Youth / Student Ministry
- Administration / Coordination
- Children's Ministry
- Family Ministry
- Young Adult / College Ministry
I would like to work at a…
- Congregational Church church
- United Church of Christ (UCC) church
- Non-denominational church
- Other church
Timothy Atkins's résuméLast updated
Believer in Orange Family Ministry, looking for progressive church
CEDAR LANE UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST CHURCH 9/2017 - Present
Director of Lifespan Religious Education
Responsible for Faith Development in a church of 750 Members, 215 Children & Youth.
MORRISTOWN UNITARIAN FELLOWSHIP 7/2013 – 9/2017
Director of Religious Education (Full-Time, Lifespan)
Responsible for Faith Development in a church of 350 Members, 100 Children & Youth.
• Worship: Collaborating with worship team on multigenerational worship and Time for All Ages, leading monthly Children’s Chapels, and crafting occasional worship services. Original stories for worship have been published by WorshipWeb and used in numerous congregations. • Pastoral Support: Providing pastoral support for children, youth, and families. • Management & Administration: Supervising quarter-time RE Assistant and Nursery staff, creating and maintaining program budget, database management using both Realm and Church Windows, leading multiple RE committees, and teacher training and development. • Lifespan Education & Curriculum: Selecting, curating, and creating curricula. Developing and teaching courses for all ages. Coordinating Covenant Group program. Launching and coordinating a Young Adult group and an Emerging Adult group. • Social Justice: Managing the congregational Social Justice program 2016-17, which included launching an entirely new structure for justice programming and interfacing with community partners. Forming intentional, institutional connections between RE and Social Justice. • Communications: Creating promotional materials, monthly newsletter columns, and weekly in-depth parent and teacher emails designed and sent through MailChimp. • Vision: Leading a holistic visioning process for the Children’s and Youth Program. Widely recognized for innovative work around implementing and adapting Think Orange Family Ministry philosophy for a UU context.
CHURCH OF THE LARGER FELLOWSHIP 12/2012 – 7/2014
Social Media Coordinator
Part time social media coordinator for an all-online UU Congregation. Responsibilities included graphic design, Google adwords, social media strategic planning, regular updates and podcasting.
C2 EDUCATION 8/2005 – 7/2013
Southeast Regional Trainer and Lead Instructor
Teacher for all subjects, grades three through twelve. Responsibilities included building, writing, and planning curriculum, and evaluating, scheduling, and training teachers for over 10 centers with 100+ employees. Conducting online training through WebEx and Adobe Connect platforms. Developing training guides and materials. Named 2006, 2007, 2011 National Teacher of the Year and 2011 Trainer of the Year. Co-Author of C2 Education The Smarter College Essay Writing Guide, 2010 Edition.
UUA BOARD OF TRUSTEES 6/2015 –1/2019
Liaison to the Appointments Committee, 2016-2018. Convener of Committees Working Group 2016-2017. Convener of Governance Working Group 2017-2018. Financial Secretary 2017-2019. Primary responsibilities include Policy Governance and monitoring, appointments, policy & procedures development, and linkage work.
APPOINTMENTS COMMITTEE OF THE UUA BOARD 7/2012 – 6/2015
Tasked with identifying leaders, especially from historically marginalized communities, to serve on a wide range of denominational committees. Served as Secretary June 2014 – June 2015.
LIBERAL RELIGIOUS EDUCATORS ASSOCIATION
LREDA Large Co-Convener - 9/2018-current
2015 LREDA Fall Conference Summary Keynote Speaker
GEORGIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY 8/2000 - 5/2005
Bachelors of Science in Public Policy, Certificates in Social Psychology, Sociology
Recognized repeatedly for student leadership. Named an Oxfam CHANGE Leader and to national leadership of National Student Campaign Against Hunger and Homelessness.
SOUTHEASTERN UNIVERSITY 5/2018 - 8/2018
Undergraduate Certificate in Orange Family Ministry
Nine credit hours. Classes included Leadership of Family Ministry, Developing Family Ministry Strategy, and Elevating Key Family Influences.
Training / Accreditation
Teacher Development (4/2013) Administration as Leadership (8/2013)
Philosophy of RE (10/2013) Worship (7/2014)
Multicultural (8/2014) Curriculum (8/2014)
UU History (7-10/2014) Adult Faith Development (1/15-3/2015)
UU Identity (7/2015) Ministry with Youth (8/2015)
Family Ministry (10/2016) UU Theology (5/2018)
SELECTED INTENSIVE TRAININGS
UUA Interim Professional Online Training (Fall 2017)
Think Orange Conference (April 2017, April 2018)
Jr. / Sr. High School OWL Facilitator Training (July 2016)
Sexuality Issues for Religious Educators (Religious Institute, 2015)
Pastoral Care for Religious Educators (CLF, 2014)
AR/AO/MC Training (Post-GA 2013) Safer Congregations Series (GIRE, 2018)
AWARDED ASSOCIATE LEVEL CREDENTIALING JUNE 2015
AWARDED CREDENTIALED LEVEL APRIL 2019
Selection of Presentations, Lectures, and Workshops
Star Island RE Week: Workshop Series on Think Orange (2016)
Think Orange: RE Committee Trainings/Retreats/Consulting (Multiple congregations)
Think Orange: Theory and Practice (Multiple conferences and retreats)
Social Media for Religious Educators (Multiple conferences and retreats)
GA Talks: Looking Outward (GA 2014)
Ministry and Worship in the Age of Technology (Defying Gravity, 2013)
21st Century Ministry: Using Social Media to Reach, Teach and Minister (Through CLF – 2013-2014)
Metro NY District Youth Advisor Training (10/2013)
I'm well versed in the Orange Theory of family ministry, and my current position is similar to the NextGen Pastor role. I've been to three conferences, more Tours, and January 2020 attending the NXT Conference.
It's a requirement for me that the church I serve be open and welcoming, as I am openly gay. I also identify personally as a religious humanist, although I am also a religious pluralist. I would be comfortable working for a Christian church that has an open and inclusive theology and practice.