We're located at 8800 River Road Henrico, VA 23229Sign in to contact River Road United Methodist Church
This is a job in…
- Youth / Student Ministry
- is United Methodist
- has an average worship attendance of 250
Job at River Road United Methodist Church
Director of Student and Adult Discipleship-WE NEED AN ENERGETIC, RELATIONAL person who LOVES JESUS and helping people grow in discipleship through community!
RIVER ROAD UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
Job Description: Director of Student and Adult Discipleship
River Road United Methodist Church
Purpose: River Road United Methodist Church is a dynamic mission-minded church that values service to the community and strives to provide ministry with people of all ages. Our mission is to "love people to life." River Road UMC seeks a Director of Student and Adult Discipleship who will work to draw both students (6th-12th grades) and adults into a deeper relationship with Christ. The essence of this position is working to bring people together; youth, adults, intergenerational, interest based, or others to develop deeper connections which support their spiritual growth and life. The Director of Student and Adult Discipleship will offer ministry through in person events and online connections and outreach.
The Director of Student and Adult Discipleship will build an engaging student ministry by:
• Advocating for and identifying means for students to engage fully in the church’s life and leadership. This includes increasing student participation and vision in such areas as worship, missions, and congregational life. • Creating programmatic opportunities for students to discern and respond to God’s call to serve.
• Creating and providing a full program of student opportunities for spiritual growth to include weekly youth group, small group options, oversight of the confirmation class, mission trips, Bible studies, and/or retreats. • Recruiting, training, and maintaining a volunteer team to work with students. • Providing ministry opportunities to enhance parent’s roles in their teen’s faith development and to engage parents in student ministry. For example, initiating a group where parents can both be resourced to further their teen’s faith development and support one another. • An understanding and excitement that a significant portion of their ministry will be done online through social media or technology platforms. On a parallel track, expand and coordinate the adult small group ministry:
• Actively recruit, identify, and train small group leaders. Work within the congregation to help members find a group that will engage them. Actively assist group leaders recruit group members. • Equip group leaders with curriculum and materials to inspire groups. • Plan and implement innovative ways to disciple adults at multiple times, in multiple ways, across multiple interests. • Build the program to create affinity groups, Bible studies, topical discipleship, intergenerational, health and wellness, and other groups. • Organize and offer small groups both online, in person, and hybrid. Collaborate with other staff to engage with students and adults from both the traditional and contemporary worship services. In both areas of their ministry, the Director of Student and Adult Discipleship will provide online content to promote discipleship and connect. (in keeping with our child protection policies).
• Faith in Jesus Christ and living out that commitment in a community of faith. • Excellent organizational skills and ability to promote and manage multiple priorities simultaneously. • A self-starter who requires little to no supervision. Comfortable with a brisk work pace. • Possesses an entrepreneurial drive to innovate around student ministry and small group ministry. • Must have a high comfort level with technology, social media, and a motivation to leverage technology as a means for ministry and outreach. • Outgoing and enthusiastic. Enjoys building relationships, collaborating with others, and working with volunteers. • Strong communications skills; oral and using a variety of resources. Communications portfolio required. • 1-2 years’ experience in youth ministries, experience in adult small groups a plus. • Strong computer skills, video production, and editing preferred. • College degree preferred and a basic knowledge of United Methodist theology and practice. • Administratively: oversee two budget areas and commit to planning meetings and weekly staff meetings. • Adherence to all Child Protection Policies.
Full-time position that reports to the Lead Pastor, must include working Sundays, 40 hours per week
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
• Benefit stipend • Weekly staff devotions and prayer • Training and continuing education opportunities
River Road UMC is a church passionate about loving God through worship and serving others through missional relationships. We are located approximately 10 miles from downtown Richmond and have an average worship of 220 people (now impacted by the pandemic).