We're located in Appleton, WISign in to contact First Congregational United Church of Christ
This is a job in…
- Youth / Student Ministry
- is United Church of Christ (UCC)
Job at First Congregational United Church of Christ
Part-time Director of Youth Ministries
Job Title: Director for Youth Ministries
Reports to: Pastor for Youth and Family Ministry
Prepared by: Human Resources Committee
Effective Start Date: Immediately.
Hours: Part time position with flexible hours (approximately 20-35 hours per week). Will include some nights and weekends.
Summary: The Director for Youth Ministries primarily develops and leads the middle school youth ministry. This individual works closely with a variety of professionals on an interdisciplinary staff in a progressive and welcoming church. The Director helps youth to deepen their Christian faith by offering them leadership and service opportunities, by promoting a sense of belonging, and connecting them to one another. The Director may also implement other events which are designed for both middle and high school students to attend. The exact job description, areas of ministry, and total hours (20-35) will be established by FCUCC and final candidate to accomplish best schedule and fit for everyone needs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Youth Ministry: include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Facilitate and strengthen the existing middle school youth ministry of First Congregational UCC by deepening caring relationships with students, empowering gifted adults and fostering a welcoming atmosphere of belonging and fellowship.
- Recruit, coach, deploy and coordinate volunteers in the middle youth ministries using a ministry team approach.
- Implement the Youth Ministry Architects model developed by First Congregational UCC in all aspects of this ministry.
- Directly develop relationships with youth, parents and volunteers by taking interest in their lives and weaving the youth ministries into the intergenerational life of First Congregational UCC.
- Build relationships with the entire staff of First Congregational UCC, seeking to work collaboratively and supportively with our larger church’s mission, values and intergenerational focus.
- Foster and resource student leadership in the youth ministry.
- Possess a heart for shepherding and encouraging youth in their faith and personal journeys; display a strong personal commitment to faith.
- Display strong administrative, planning, organizational and communication skills.
- Lead summer middle school weekend mission trip and possibly lead overnights and/or weekend retreats.
- Serve as a key voice and advocate for the youth ministry in an interdisciplinary, collegial environment. Attend staff meetings.
- Plan, resource, and lead the Wednesday evening Middle School ministry which is an intentional educational program including curriculum, service projects, fellowship, and other activities.
- Attend high school events as needed and/or available.
- Consider spending up to one week per summer at either UCCI camp in a leadership role.
Supervisory Responsibilities: include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Supervise adult volunteers working with youth.
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include recruiting and training volunteers; planning, assigning and directing work; evaluating performance; addressing complaints; and resolving problems.
- The ideal candidate will possess a bachelor’s degree or equivalent and have participated in Bible or theology classes or other religious training.
- Experience working with youth, youth ministry or related field preferred.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and ability to learn other applicable computer programs and office equipment.
- Must exhibit a faith and possess values supportive of the United Church of Christ and First Congregational UCC.
- Strong interpersonal, time-management and delegation skills.
- Displays sound judgment, a positive attitude and professional conduct, including the ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Valid driver license; background check required.
- Salaried: starting at $25/hr. Excellent paid time off benefits in addition.
- Able to use staircases, walk, sit, bend and lift. Ability to lift 20 pounds.
- Please submit a cover letter and résumé with at least 3 references not related to the applicant, to [email protected]
We are a Christian community called by God through the life and teachings of Jesus to grow in Spirit, to share our faith experiences, to serve others, to promote hope and peace in the world, and to welcome all God’s people.