We're located at 237 2nd St NW Hickory, NCSign in to contact First Presbyterian Church - Hickory, NC
This is a job in…
- Youth / Student Ministry
- Family Ministry
- Young Adult / College Ministry
- is Presbyterian (PCUSA)
- has an average worship attendance of 350
Job at First Presbyterian Church - Hickory, NC
Full Time Director of Youth Ministry
PURPOSE: The Director of Youth and College Ministries will be the initiating leader for the church’s ministries of spiritual formation, fellowship and mission with all youth and college students and their families.
ACCOUNTABILITY: The Director is employed by the Session and is supervised by the Pastor-Head of Staff.
The Director is the primary staff resource and liaison to the Youth Council and works closely with the Christian Education, Family Ministry Committee, and Mission Trip Subcommittee.
The Director relates to all church staff as part of the ministry team and attends all staff and committee meetings which are directly related to his/her job responsibilities.
• Provide overall vision and direction to the church’s youth programs. • Communicate the vision, purpose, and goals of the youth ministry to the congregation. • Develop and nurture strong personal relationships with youth. • Provide direct spiritual and emotional care to youth and their families. • Recruit and train teachers, leaders, and advisors in cooperation with the Youth Ministry Council. • Engage in outreach that leads to organic growth in our youth group • Review and select spiritual development curriculum for Sunday school, Quest/Confirmation Class, and youth programming. • Organize and oversee a full schedule of activities for youth. These activities will include, but not be limited to, weekly spiritual development and worship opportunities, Sunday afternoon programs, mid-week gatherings, annual youth services, retreats, lock-ins, day trips, mission trips, and summer conferences. • Explore and implement new, out of the box ways for engaging youth with the youth director, youth leaders, youth advisors, and each other in present times and in a “post COVID” world • Provide excellent communication with youth and their parents using all available means. • Increase and expand on our current social media presence to make the experience more interactive and outreach through Instagram, Facebook, and other appropriate platforms. • Teach Confirmation Class using pastors and lay leaders when appropriate. • Plan and implement annual youth mission trips, including funding for these trips in coordination with the Mission Trip Planning Committee and the Youth Ministry Council. • Initiate and oversee the congregation’s ministry of spiritual development for college students including, but not limited to care packages, Christmas or spring break gatherings, and mission trips.
• Oversee the church’s youth ministry budget, ensuring programs thrive within budgetary limits. • Be responsible for areas of the church building dedicated to youth programs.
• The Director of Youth Ministries will provide staff support for the Youth Ministry Council and serve as needed with the Christian Education Committee (as shared with the Director of Children’s and Family Ministries and Director of Adult Spiritual Formation) • The Director of Youth Ministries will promote the church’s relationship to Presbytery and other governing bodies, and will be encouraged to serve the Presbytery as part of his/her work.
First Presbyterian Church is searching for a full time Director of Youth Ministry. The director
leads middle school and high school youth groups, oversees MS and HS Sunday School,
coordinates Wednesday Night programs – WWF and Huddle, teaches Confirmation Class, plans and leads summer mission trips and youth conferences, cares for youth and their families, and reaches out to unchurched youth. Ryan Lovern would love to speak with you at [email protected] or 828.446.8266.
Our church has a 140 year history, rich in Presbyterian traditions. Our Youth Ministry is one of the cornerstones of that legacy. We are blessed with a vibrant, resourceful congregation that is committed to living our faith through worship, study, music and service; both in our community and beyond. As a community of 800 followers of Jesus Christ, we place a tremendous emphasis on teaching and developing our young disciples through worship, outreach, fellowship and spiritual development. With God’s help, some of the ways we have accomplished this calling include: annual mission trips for both Jr. High and Sr. High Youth groups (for over 25 years); participation in many local mission efforts; Wednesday evening programs for both groups; retreats; Montreat and Massannetta youth conferences; and leadership in worship.