We're located at 724 E. South River Street, Appleton WISign in to contact FIRST CONGREGATIONAL UCC
This is a job in…
- Youth / Student Ministry
- Children's Ministry
- is United Church of Christ (UCC)
- has an average worship attendance of 350
Job at FIRST CONGREGATIONAL UCC
Director for Children and Middle School Ministry
Summary: The Director for Children's and Middle School Ministry provides leadership for birth through 8th grade. This position directs and coordinates the instruction of children in activities designed to promote spiritual, social, physical and intellectual growth for infants, toddlers, children, and middle school youth. The Director implements a ministry that promotes a sense of belonging, helps children embrace a deep and sustainable Christian faith, and offers them leadership opportunities both through Church School and our Middle School ministry.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: include, but are not limited to, the following:
Children's and Middle School Ministry:
• Directly develop faith filled relationships with children, youth, parents and volunteers by taking interest in their lives and weaving the children’s ministries into the intergenerational life of First Congregational UCC. • Recruit, coach, deploy and coordinate volunteers using a ministry team approach in collaboration with the children’s and youth ministry teams. • Assume a coaching and resourcing role to the entire program. Plan, resource, and lead or co-lead the Sunday morning church School. Plan, resource, and directly lead the Wednesday evening Middle School Ministry. • Develop and implement curriculum in conjunction with key lay leaders and the Pastor for Youth and Family Ministry. Implement the Youth Ministry Architects model developed by FCUCC. • Assist in coordinating student leadership. • Supervise, coordinate, and facilitate Family Worship Area during designated services in lieu of church school programming. • Serve as a key voice and advocate for children and youth ministry in an interdisciplinary, collegial environment. • Direct specific ministry related events. • Possibly lead overnight and/or weekend retreats or camps.
• Collaboratively develop and consistently communicate ministry events and opportunities to children, youth, parents, staff, and the church. Attend staff and designated ministry team meetings. • Maintain budget, records for registration, attendance, and offerings in accordance with the SafeConduct™ policy. • Ensure appropriate paid and/or volunteer child care coverage is present for church events. • Oversee and maintain the church school resource center and other rooms in the Children, Youth and Families wing.
• Directly supervise infant and toddler child care workers. • Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include recruiting, interviewing and training volunteer teachers; planning, assigning and directing work; evaluating performance; rewarding and disciplining volunteers; addressing complaints; and resolving problems.
• Ideal candidate will have a Bachelor’s (or Master’s) degree in education or other related field, 3 years of related experience, or some combination of the above. • Christian Educator Certification preferred. • Experience at a programmatic or corporate-sized church or institution preferred. • Possess a heart for shepherding and encouraging children and youth in their faith and personal journeys. Display a faith supportive of the United Church of Christ. • Proficiency in Microsoft Office; comfortable in using audiovisual equipment. • Possess strong administrative, planning, organizational and communication skills. • Valid driver license; background check required.
• For postings: Starting at $50K. Salary based on experience and qualifications. Individual or Family Health Benefits in addition. • Assistance with relocation expenses.
• Able to use staircases, walk, sit, bend and lift. Ability to lift 20 pounds.
• Please submit a cover letter and resumé, with at least 3 references not related to the applicant, to [email protected]
We are an open and affirming congregation of the United Church of Christ in Appleton, Wisconsin. We’re committed to tolerance, justice, service and exploration not dogma and rules. So no matter who you are or where you are on life’s journey, you are welcome here.