We're located at 18826 3rd Ave NW Shoreline, WA 98177Sign in to contact Calvin Presbyterian Church
This is a job in…
- Youth / Student Ministry
- Family Ministry
- is Presbyterian (PCUSA)
- has an average worship attendance of 110
Job at Calvin Presbyterian Church
Youth and Family Ministries Associate
The Youth and Family Ministry Associate will minister to middle school and high school students, as well as their parents/guardians, and provide leadership and general oversight of all youth ministries (6-12th grade), supporting Calvin Presbyterian Church’s vision of Forming Community, Transforming Lives, and Reforming Our World.
A) Transform Lives
1) Build relationships with youth and their parents/guardians both inside and outside of Calvin with the
goal of understanding, sharing, and speaking into their faith journeys.
2) Provide creative, age-appropriate, and engaging opportunities and activities for spiritual formation and discipleship for youth.
3) Serve as an advocate and resource for our Milestones program, providing particular oversight and leadership in the milestones of Identity, Membership, Mission, and Commission.
4) In partnership with the Associate Pastor, care for parents/guardians in all aspects of family life, from providing support amid the challenges of daily life to cultivating the gift of discipleship within the home.
B) Form Community
1) Provide creative opportunities for welcoming youth and their parents/guardians from communities that are not part of Calvin’s worshiping body along with leading youth and their families in building
relationships with those outside Calvin’s worshiping body.
2) Partner in church-wide initiatives such as Easter Egg Hunt, Block Party, and Trunk-or-Treat, involving
youth along with their parents/guardians in extending hospitality to our neighbors.
C) Reform Our World
1) In coordination with the Outreach Ministry Team, encourage and facilitate participation of youth and
their parents/guardians in congregational outreach events.
1) Attend Calvin’s worship services regularly and participate in leadership of congregational worship
services when invited by pastoral staff.
2) Together with the Associate Pastor, encourage the age appropriate participation and attendance of
youth and families in corporate worship that is consistent with Calvin’s goals of intergenerational
worship and community building.
1) Proactively recruit, train, develop and encourage volunteers to serve as leaders for youth.
2) Oversee the development of student leadership among the youth.
3) Maintain regular communication with parents/guardians of the youth, as well as volunteers, concerning programs, goals, and schedules.
4) Attend weekly meetings with Associate Pastor to have time for strategic planning, resource sharing,
and theological reflection.
5) Pursue opportunities for professional growth in leadership of Youth and Family Ministries.
6) Perform other duties as agreed upon and directed by the pastoral staff.
• Must evidence a living faith in Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord. • Must hold a theology and philosophy of ministry compatible with the Reformed tradition and with Calvin Presbyterian Church in particular. • A passion for working with youth and families. Two years of experience in congregational setting preferred. • Bachelor’s degree preferred. AA degree or equivalent and/or enrollment in college classes relevant to youth and family ministry required.
• Mission Ownership: Willingness to embrace Calvin Church’s vision, mission and core values, and to enthusiastically promote them to others. Demonstrate understanding and support of Calvin’s purpose,
values, and strategies within ministries for parents/guardians and their children.
• Interpersonal Skills: Able to listen well and interact with charity toward others, offering hospitality, and seeking constructive solutions when problems arise. • Communication Skills: Able to communicate effectively to both individuals and groups within both the congregation and the community, both in person and through a variety of media. • Independent Leadership: Show strong initiative; demonstrate proactive work habits; able to work independently toward agreed upon goals.
• Team Building Skills: Effectively recruit and support teams of volunteers; recognize dysfunctional team behavior and redirect it toward functional behavior; empower others to complete tasks.
We are an intergenerational church located just north of the city of Seattle. The youth in our youth group are committed and kind, playful and community-minded, and they are wanting a youth leader who is loving, stable, spiritually wise, ...and knowledge of the Marvel Comic Universe and Star Wars would also be helpful!