We're located at 3940 27 1/2 Road, Grand Junction, CO 81506Sign in to contact First Presbyterian Church
This is a job in…
- Youth / Student Ministry
- is Presbyterian (PCUSA)
Job at First Presbyterian Church
Director of Student Ministries
Director of Student Ministries
FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH of GRAND JUNCTION, COLORADO
The Director of Student Ministries oversees and leads the church’s ministry to middle and high school students (6th to 12th grade) with focus on relational ministry with youth and their families to consistently promote the mission of First Presbyterian Church: Rooted in Jesus, Growing in His Love, Branching Out to Serve Others. The Director of Student Ministries teaches, leads, and coordinates fellowship and discipleship with youth groups, small groups, Sunday Morning classes, and other discipleship opportunities. The Director of Student Ministries must support the mission, beliefs, and values of First Presbyterian Church (FPC).
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Full-time, Regular, Exempt, 40 hours per week.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (Employee must fulfill the following essential functions with or without reasonable accommodation):
1) Utilizes cohesive, Christ-centered, Bible-based curricula for students, including instruction in scripture, theology, prayer, worship, communion, interaction with culture, mission and outreach, leadership, and church membership/confirmation.
2) Leads and implements the current activities of Wednesday youth group, Sunday morning classes, small groups, and outreach opportunities, as well as developing new opportunities.
3) Recruits, equips, and leads a team of committed adult volunteers and summer interns for the purpose of connecting students to Christ in middle/high school and into adulthood.
4) Spends consistent, intentional relational time with students, both within the FPC family as well as with other leaders/churches within the Grand Valley, connecting with students and families where they are: sports, plays, concerts, etc., as well as at FPC’s worship and special youth events, training adult leaders to do the same.
5) Assists adult leaders to discern their calling in ministry to students and families and to the church as a whole.
6) Collaborates with staff/elders/leadership to carry out FPC’s mission. This includes regular check-ins with their direct supervisor, team members (including leading monthly team meetings), elder for youth ministry discipleship, and other church staff regarding ministry efforts, goals, and challenges.
7) Maintains records of student participation and contacts to assure inclusion of all students in outreach.
8) Assists the Pastor(s) and leaders in developing, implementing, and staffing membership/confirmation for students.
9) As a part of the church leadership team, plays an active role in the team’s work of visioning & planning.
10) Facilitates and leads fundraising with families as needed for mission trips, following guidelines for fundraising outlined by Session.
11) Participates in continuing education/leadership development opportunities on a regular basis.
Performs other job-related duties as assigned by the Executive Director of Church-wide and Children’s Ministries and/or the Senior Pastor.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRMENTS:
1) A minimum of 3-5 years experience in developing and supervising youth ministry in a church setting is desirable.
2) A bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in a relevant discipline is desirable.
3) Familiarity with Presbyterian/Reformed theology is desirable.
SPECIALIZED QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
1) A demonstration of commitment to Jesus Christ and the church through ministry and daily living.
2) Excellent listening skills.
3) Leadership and planning skills.
4) Communication and Administrative skills.
5) Computer skills, including Microsoft Office. A working knowledge of the use of social media is desired.
6) Must work with people of various age groups, educational backgrounds and experiences.
7) Must work as a team member in support of the mission of First Presbyterian Church.
8) Commitment to FPC’s Biblical Standards for Leadership covenant
The Director of Student Ministries reports to the Exec. Dir. Of Church-wide and Children’s Ministries and ultimately to the Senior Pastor and the Session through the Discipleship Ministry Team.
This position supervises:
1) Student Ministry Assistant
2) Student Ministry Interns
The first thing to know about who we are is that we're not all alike. We come from a variety of backgrounds and faith experiences. We cover a broad spectrum of vocations, generations, educational levels, musical tastes, socio-economic situations, and political affiliations. Some of us grew up in the Church and some of us are still learning what it means to be a follower of Jesus -- or a Presbyterian for that matter. We don't come out of the same mold, that's for sure. There are some pretty important similarities among us, however. In one way or another, we want to be Rooted in Jesus, Growing in His Love, and Branching Out to Serve Others. We hope to extend God's grace and Kingdom in tangible ways. Together, we rely on God to speak to us through His Holy Word and by His Holy Spirit. And we try to maintain a high view of scripture while reading it through the lens of Jesus Christ -- who was full of grace and truth. Speaking of Jesus, it is Christ who holds us together.
Living on the Western Slope of Colorado means we're fairly laid back -- although we are familiar with and embrace our heritage as Presbyterians. We like to laugh and worship -- and often laugh in worship. We like the fact that God is constantly pushing us back into the community and world to serve in His name. And we like seeing each other at church and in our everyday lives.