We're located at 41 Central St, Andover, Ma 01810Sign in to contact South Church in Andover
This is a job in…
- Youth / Student Ministry
- Children's Ministry
- Christian Education
- Family Ministry
- is United Church of Christ (UCC)
- has an average worship attendance of 300
Job at South Church in Andover
Seeking a compassionate and enthusiastic individual to be our next Minister for Youth and Families!
Summary: At South Church, our mission is to boldly embody God’s love and compassion. We are an open
and affirming United Church of Christ church located in Andover, MA. We are seeking a compassionate,
enthusiastic and faith-driven individual to help us shepherd the children and youth of our church.
This is a full-time, salaried position with benefits. The Minister of Youth & Families (MYF) will provide vision and direction for South Church faith formation and programming for children, youth, and young families. They
will oversee youth programs including: Sunday School, Wednesday Wonders, Youth Group, Summer of
Service and Vacation Bible School. The MYF will work with pastoral and lay staff to foster an atmosphere in
which spiritual growth from the nursery through high school is the highest goal. The MYF will provide
education, direction, nurture and support to both paid and volunteer teaching staff.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee the Sunday School program - Review and prepare curriculum - Train and support volunteer teachers - Supervise paid nursery and preschool Sunday staff - Lead Children’s Chapel once per month - Develop relationships with the children and families at South Church - Incorporate service opportunities into the Sunday School program - Participate in recruitment of volunteer teaching staff. - Demonstrate an understanding of children’s social-emotional needs. - Create and lead lessons and inclusive experiences for diverse learning styles and needs. - Coordinate and run our Wednesday afternoon programming. (“Wednesday Wonders” is an afternoon faith formation and choir opportunity for children in grades K- 5 from 3:45-6:15pm. We offer service projects,
gross-motor play, choir classes, and more.)
- Supervise and coordinate our intern program with Merrimack College through their Service Learning office.
- Work in partnership with the Minister of Music and children’s choir teachers to plan curriculum for Wednesday Wonders
- Develop activities and projects for children and youth - Lead monthly dinner worship for families after the Wednesday Wonders program - Promote and invite families to the program throughout the year South Church in Andover, UCC – 41 Central Street, Andover, MA 01810 - 978-475-0321
- Lead Middle School Youth Group and High School Youth Group - Plan and run middle school and high school youth group meetings - Support and train the adult advisors for this group - Plan and run special events/outings including but not limited to: mission trips, retreat weekends, trips to the Topsfield Fair or Corn Mazes, etc.
- Coordinate and run Summer of Service - Plan and run our Summer of Service program (currently 3 weeks in July) which offers service and fellowship opportunities for youth in grades 6-12.
- Assist in worship leadership - Lead the Children’s Time on Sunday mornings, before children go to Sunday School - Occasional preaching opportunities if desired - Prepare and lead special events and programs including but not limited to: - Vacation Bible School - Annual Mission Trips - for High School and Middle School youth - Advent and Holy Week family events - Christmas Pageant - Confirmation - Benchmark celebrations for children throughout the school year. - Support and volunteer recruitment for the Our Whole Lives (OWL) program - Provide pastoral care to families, youth, and church members - Provide pastoral care as needed and refer youth and/or congregants to professional care if warranted
- Ideal candidates will have an understanding of mental health as well as appropriate boundary setting. They will also be willing to further their education on mental health issues such as anxiety,
depression, learning issues and trauma.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
• Attend Youth and Family Faith Formation meetings and coordinate with the lay leadership team on the agendas and priorities.
• Attend staff meetings regularly. • Provide ongoing communication with the congregation by way of the church newsletter, emails, social media, and South Church web page.
• Order, inventory and organize classroom supplies and resources with the help of the Church School Shepherds.
Compassion and Care:
- Exudes a natural sense of care for the well-being of others; responds with empathy to the life circumstances of others; communicates a sense of support in their very presence;
demonstrates appropriate and boundaried expressions of care.
- Skilled at teaching and engaging with children of all ages. Ability to develop programs and activities to help children and their families learn about and deepen their faith.
- Demonstrates an
understanding of children’s social-emotional needs and adapts programming to be inclusive of different
learning abilities and life experiences.
- Encourages teachers, youth chaperones, and committee members to discover
and engage their giftedness and skills in service to the larger community; calls out the best in others; supports others in the development of their skills and abilities; actively seeks to engage others more directly in the leadership life of the congregation; thinks strategically about the continual need for the next
group of teachers and leaders and works to build a strong teaching team for children and youth.
- Demonstrates the ministry of presence; creates a spirit of openness that invites those who
are spiritually or emotionally troubled to confide in them; demonstrates appropriate pastoral care
boundaries; recognize their own limitations as a care provider; respects confidences; demonstrates
awareness and compassion when supporting children, youth and families with mental health concerns.
Social Justice: Well versed in the issues of social justice, diversity/equity/inclusion, LGBTQ+. Seeks to
expand their own knowledge and perspectives. Encourages the growth of others in the congregation in a
supportive manner. Embraces advocacy both at the individual and community level.
- Demonstrates interest, skill and success in team environments; places group goals ahead of personal agendas; steps up to offer self as a resource to other members of the team;
understands and supports the importance of teamwork; shares credit for success with others.
Creativity and Innovation:
- Generates new ideas; makes new connections among existing ideas to create fresh approaches; takes acceptable risks in pursuit of innovation; learns from mistakes; has good
judgement about which creative ideas and suggestions will work.
Integrity and Trust: Is seen as trustworthy by others; practices direct, honest, and transparent
communication; keeps confidences; admits mistakes; doesn’t operate with hidden agendas;
responds to situations with constancy and reliability.
- Is able and willing to focus time on tasks that contribute to our church’s mission and values; uses time effectively and efficiently; values time and respects the time of others;
concentrates their efforts on the most important priorities, can appropriately balance priorities.
Openness to Feedback: Openness to supervision and direction; understands the importance of a culture of
accountability; communicates well with other staff to ensure aligned energy; open to new ideas and
feedback on work.
- Have prior experience working with children and youth (minimum of 2 years) such as counseling, teaching or pastoral care.
- Bachelor’s degree required. - Able to pass a CORI and SORI check - Must be able to work on Sundays. Interested Candidates should send a resume and cover letter to [email protected]
At South Church, our mission is to boldly embody God’s love and compassion. We are an open and affirming United Church of Christ church located in Andover, MA. We believe that the Bible can be taken seriously, yet not literally. We believe that the power of community, prayer and service can change lives and make the world a better place. We are a community of believers, doubters and a little bit of each. We are a place where people of all ages, races, backgrounds, gender identities and sexual orientations are invited to come and be nourished, loved and challenged.