We're located at 8900 Georgia Ave. Silver Spring, MD 20910Sign in to contact Silver Spring United Methodist Church
This is a job in…
- Youth / Student Ministry
- Young Adult / College Ministry
- is United Methodist
- has an average worship attendance of 200
Job at Silver Spring United Methodist Church
Director of Youth and Young Adult Ministry
Job Summary: The Director of Youth and Young Adult Ministries works closely with the Lead Pastor and the Director of Children and Family Ministries to provide quality Christian education, fellowship, and service opportunities for youth (6th-12th grade) and young adults (20’s and 30’s). An ideal candidate is comfortable supporting youth and families of youth in navigating conversations about mental health; can recruit and support youth-led leadership teams and can encourage youth to build relationships with each other; and, can recruit and do ministry with a team of adult volunteers that assists with youth programs and missions.
● Plan youth group events throughout the school year, to include roughly one meeting per week, whether a special event such as a service/mission opportunity, a trip, or a fundraiser, or a “regular” meeting ● Recruit and train adult volunteers to work with you, ensuring Safe Sanctuaries compliance ● Coordinate Sunday morning youth formation groups, currently including a bi-weekly middle school Sunday school class and a monthly high school worship service ● Create opportunities for small groups of youth, often determined by age range, to participate in special activities ● Plan and coordinate a high school mission trip and a middle school mission trip each summer ● Work with other staff, parents, and youth to fundraise to support the costs of summer mission trips ● Coordinate and lead confirmation, currently a January-May class, which includes mentors, field trips, and a weekend retreat ● Meet quarterly with the Young Adult representative to Council on Ministries and Lead Pastor ● Coordinate, resource, plan, and advertise young adult activities and fellowship opportunities throughout the year ● Provide worship support as needed ● Attend monthly Council on Ministries meetings ● Attend administrative planning meetings as appropriate
● Degree in theology, Christian education, or related field. Master of Divinity or Master of Theological Studies preferred. ● Experience teaching in a church setting.
● Able to travel with youth on mission trips and retreats
All SSUMC Staff Core Competencies
● Interpersonal Skills: Establishes good working relationships with all others who are relevant to the completion of work; works well with people at all levels of the congregation; builds appropriate rapport; considers the impact of his/her/their actions on others; uses diplomacy and tact; is approachable; avoids communication triangles. ● Mission Ownership: Demonstrates understanding and full support of the mission, vision, values, and beliefs of the congregation; can demonstrate those values to others; consistently behaves in a manner congruent with the mission, vision, values, and beliefs. ● Team Orientation: demonstrates interest, skill, and success in team environments; promotes group goals ahead of personal agendas; steps up to offer self as a resource to other members of the team; understands and supports the importance of teamwork; shares credit for success with others, takes responsibility for his/her/their part in team failures. ● Diversity Management: Manages all kinds and classes of people equitably; committed to the promotion of equal opportunity; ensures ongoing consultation with people that represent all types of difference; ensures that processes and practices are adaptable to different needs, abilities, and ways of working. ● Personal Resilience: Can effectively cope with change and uncertainty; can shift gears comfortably; can decide and act without having the total picture; maintains a non-anxious presence in the face of change or uncertainty; can comfortably handle risk and uncertainty; is flexible. ● Self-care: Can maintain a healthy life balance by dedicating time to practicing proactive self-care. Examples include: working with a spiritual director, ministry coach, or mentoring group; engaging in individual therapy; and, using vacation time.
Position Specific Core Competencies
● Attention to Detail: Consistently attends to the many small pieces which must be assembled into an organized whole; follows up on missing or out-of-balance items; resolves unanswered questions needed to address a problem; keeps the larger picture in mind while tending to the smallest of details. ● Initiative: Enjoys working hard; is action-oriented and energetic about worthwhile activities; not fearful of taking calculated risks; seizes opportunities; sets demanding but achievable objectives for self and others. ● Leadership Development: Encourages others to discover and engage their giftedness and skills in service to the larger community; calls out the best in others; supports others in the development of their skills and abilities; actively seeks to engage others more directly in the leadership life of the congregation; thinks strategically about the continual need for the next generation of leaders and works to build the leadership base. ● Spiritual Maturity: Shows strong personal depth and spiritual grounding; demonstrates integrity by walking the talk, and by responding with the constancy of purpose; is seen by others as trustworthy and authentic; nurtures a rich spiritual life; seeks the wisdom and guidance of appropriate mentors; is able to articulate a clear and consistent theology. ● Teaching: Designs effective lesson plans and facilitates learning experiences in both small and large group settings; select teaching topics that are relevant, provocative, and contribute to a deeper understanding of scripture, theology, and spiritual practice; uses a variety of teaching topics to maintain interest and build connection.
Located in the vibrant urban center of Silver Spring, Maryland, Silver Spring UMC’s mission is “to be a movement of Christ’s love to the people of Silver Spring, feeding all people in body, mind, and spirit – so that no one goes hungry.” We love Jesus and justice, claim all people as beloved children of God, and seek a deep anchor in a discipleship that transforms our lives and communities. You can find more information about our community at https://silverspringumc.org/