We're located at 4300 Northside Drive NW, Atlanta, GA 30327Sign in to contact Northwest Presbyterian Church
This is a job in…
- Youth / Student Ministry
- Children's Ministry
- Family Ministry
- Young Adult / College Ministry
- is Presbyterian (PCUSA)
- has an average worship attendance of 105
Job at Northwest Presbyterian Church
Summary of Duties and Responsibilities: The Minister to Children, Youth, and Families at Northwest Presbyterian Church will have a heart and vision for supporting, nurturing, educating, and equipping children, youth, parents, and families. This minister will guide the children, youth, and families of the church as they move along their journey of faith and grow in their knowledge of the Bible and in their relationship with Jesus Christ. He or she will be a core teacher and leader of both children’s Sunday school and youth activities and will facilitate relationships between and among families both within the church and in the surrounding community. He or she will provide vision, oversight, and direction to all aspects of the church’s ministry to children, youth, and parents. This minister will implement a ministry that is consistent with the overall vision and mission of Northwest Presbyterian Church. This position will report to the Pastor.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Ministry to Children
(Birth – 5th Grade)
The Minister to Children, Youth, and Families will oversee and provide leadership for all programming for children from birth through 5th grade and will have the following responsibilities related to the Christian growth and nurture of children in the church:
• Developing and implementing a clearly defined vision and strategy for the Sunday morning nursery, Sunday school, and the Young Children and Worship programs.
• Planning, implementation, and leadership of summer activities such as Vacation Bible School and the Summer in the Sun children’s activity which follows the children’s sermon in the church worship service.
• Presenting the children’s sermon during the weekly worship service.
• Teaching children’s Sunday School and recruiting, training, motivating, and communicating with volunteers who will assist in teaching and leading children in Sunday School.
• Planning and overseeing the implementation of special events for children and families including fall kick-off events, the church Christmas pageant, special Lent and Easter events, presentation of Bibles to children and teens, year-end celebrations, and others.
• Building and maintaining meaningful relationships with children and their parents.
• Continually evaluate the church’s ministry to children and their parents, suggesting changes and enhancements as needed.
• Growing the church’s ministry to children and parents to include families in the surrounding community.
Ministry to Youth
The Minister to Children, Youth, and Families will oversee and provide leadership for all programming for middle and high school youth and will have the following responsibilities related to the Christian growth and nurture of youth in the church:
• Creating a calendar of youth activities, including activities designed for fellowship, education, service, and Christian nurture, and clearly communicating calendar of events (with appropriate reminders and follow-up) to youth and parents. • Leading weekly youth gatherings and other planned youth activities and recruiting, training, motivating, and communicating with volunteers who will assist in youth ministry. • Developing a Sunday School curriculum for youth and/or working with the Christian Education team on the development of adult Sunday School (which may also be engaging for youth). • Planning, implementing and overseeing summer activities including youth summer camps and mission trips. • Planning and overseeing the implementation of special events for youth including fall kick-off events, parties, off-site events, retreats, service projects, and activities that allow youth to be part of the general ministry of the church. • Building and maintaining meaningful relationships with youth and their parents. • Continually evaluate the church’s ministry to youth and their parents, suggesting changes and enhancements as needed. • Developing and implementing a Confirmation Class • Growing the church’s ministry to youth to include families in the surrounding community.
Ministry to Families
• Providing a consistent pastoral presence for the families of our church.
• Ensuring adherence to church child protection and safety guidelines.
• Planning and implementing educational and fellowship events for parents.
• Completing with enthusiasm frequent direct outreach of families, utilizing multiple forms of communication. • Facilitating relationships among the families of the church and between church families and families in the surrounding community. • Providing counseling and pastoral care to youth and families as needed and appropriate.
Administrative and Other Duties
• Applying fresh vision and ideas for the nurture of children, youth, and families. • Attending weekly church staff meetings. • Effective management of and adherence to the church budget. • Checking and responding promptly to emails, voice mails, and other communications within 1 working day. • Ensuring thorough and efficient communication with parents and youth regarding scheduling, updates, news, and information via newsletters, emails, texts, flyers, and social media. • Participating in the Christian Education Ministry Team and providing support for the execution of its mission and programs. • Updating Pastor on any issues related to children, youth, or family ministry. • Overseeing the purchase and preparation of supplies for ministry events. • Communicating vacation and time-off requests in a timely manner. • Reviewing and selecting curriculum for the church’s Christian education for children and youth. • Attending the weekly church worship service and other church events and activities as appropriate. • Scheduling Dark to Light and CPR safety programs to comply with our child protection policies. • Working with staff to integrate youth into the life of the church. • Understanding, interpreting, and effectively communicating Reformed Presbyterian U.S.A. theology in a Christian ministry setting. • Working with church staff to be sure that facilities for children and youth are kept clean and maintained. • Ensuring that all planned activities for children, youth, and families are coordinated with the church calendar. • Passionately embodying God’s Word in daily living, exhibiting a good moral character.
Duties and responsibilities may change from time to time as the needs of our faith community change.
The ideal candidate will possess the following attributes:
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills • Effective time management skills • Organized • Enthusiastic • Trustworthy • Flexible • Compassionate • Spiritually mature • Strong Leadership skills • Knowledge of children and youth culture and ability to communicate effectively with these age groups • Strong biblical and theological knowledge • Excellent Communicator • Engaging Teacher • Self-Motivated • Strong skills in relationship-building • Ability to effectively manage a budget • A strong set of personal values, priorities, and disciplines • Willingness to engage in continued spiritual and personal growth • The wisdom, discretion, and courage to exercise good judgment, make balanced decisions, and resolve controversial issues. • Ability to use document software, digital communication, and social media platforms.
• Bachelor’s degree or higher in Education, Christian Ministry, Children’s Ministry, Youth Ministry, Divinity or Theology or equivalent experience. • At least 2 years of experience in ministry with children, youth, or families. • Applicants will be asked to submit a statement of their faith.
Salary: Range - $40,000 - $45,000. Negotiable based upon education, skills, and experience. Benefits include medical, dental, 403b match, and reimbursable continuing education and professional expenses.
To Apply: Please submit a resume, letter of interest, and references to Ellen Carrington at [email protected]
We are a family. We don't always agree but we love and accept one another for our uniqueness and our walk to understand the love of God in our lives and the world. We really like to see each other and interact.
Our members are very bright. Politically we are equally liberal and conservative.
We are in the heart of "Buckhead" a wealthy neighborhood. We are surrounded by mega-churches. We are a traditional service with a small congregation -- with some of the highest average giving in the Presbytery. We are open to change.
Like many churches, we are trying to determine what church means in terms of ministering to those that are part of our community as well as those in our neighborhood.
This position is geared to building a Christian Education program from infant to adult that is relevant and impactful to our members and our guests. Children, youth, and young adults are key areas of focus.