We're located at 1500 Quentin Road Lebanon. PA 17042Sign in to contact Church of the Good Shepherd
This is a job in…
- Youth / Student Ministry
- is United Methodist
- has an average worship attendance of 150
Job at Church of the Good Shepherd
Director of Student Ministry
The Director of Student Ministry provides leadership and vision to the total youth ministry of Church of the Good Shepherd. She or he fosters and sustains a safe environment in which teenagers can encounter the life-transforming truth of the Gospel through relationships, teaching, and servant leadership. The Director personally demonstrates and exemplifies the life of discipleship in his/her own work and life habits. He or she coordinates the leadership efforts of both students and adults to provide impactful opportunities for students to see God’s movement in the world. This is a full-time position.
• Agreement with our church’s vision, goals, and statement of faith. • 2 years of experience in leadership of student ministry. • An appreciation of the United Methodist Church: its polity and theological tradition. • Bachelor’s degree relating to ministry preferred, but not required. • Commitment to students and student ministry as a calling to serve. • Familiarity and competence in communication skills for newsletters, e-mail, social media, and public media.
• Child abuse clearances and background check and driving record that meet expectation of church’s safe sanctuary policy.
• Strong Christian Commitment to Jesus Christ with evidence in faith and character • An appreciation of the United Methodist Church: its polity and theological tradition • Sensitive to others and approachable • Integrity • Comfortable as a member of a team • Self-starter and initiator • Committed to the vision/mission/and core values of Church of the Good Shepherd • Passion for student ministry. • Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Attend worship and participate in worship leadership with appropriate to the Student Ministry • Develop lessons and teach the Word of God in a way that relates to students.
• Works best in a team environment with both staff and volunteers. • Leads a Youth leadership team comprised of student and adult leaders who together develop the following aspects of youth ministry: o Continually develop, execute, and re-evaluate vision and mission
o Encourage and work with other staff for students to serve alongside adults and peers.
o Plan, lead, and participate in Youth Missions both locally and afar.
• Recruit and provide support for Middle School and High School Sunday School teaching staff. • Assist the leadership of the student mission trips and opportunities supported by COGS
• Understand contemporary student culture. • Build and maintain intentional, faith-centered relationship with students in and outside of the church. • Walk alongside students on the path of discipleship. • Build and maintain support connections with parents. • Support the development of spiritual disciplines for students and parents.
• Develop, sustain, and lead recurring bible study and youth programs. We currently offer separate Sunday School and Youth Night programs for HS and MS students. • Develop lessons and teach the Word of God in a way that relates to students
• Attend weekly staff meeting and communicate Student Ministry needs to others on staff. • Set and oversee annual student ministry budget, with particular attention to needed resources for an active and growing student ministry • Promote and publicize COGS student ministries to the students, their families, the congregation and the community. • Foster open communication lines between students, parents, congregation, and the ministry using the tools/resources available such as: social media, church website, texting platforms, and more. • Plan a ministry calendar with engaging and purposeful special events that contribute to the groups sense of discipleship and faith community.
• This position is accountable to the Pastor and the Staff Parish Relations Committee. • A collegial relationship will be maintained between the Director of Student Ministries and The Director of Children and Family ministries that fosters a smooth transition for children into the youth ministries.
Job Evaluation and Provisions
• It is a year-round, full-time position. • Upon employment, the first three months are considered probationary. • Salary and performance will be reviewed by the Staff Parish Relations Committee on an annual basis. • The Director of Student Ministries shall provide the proper information to abide by the church’s Safe Sanctuary Policy. • Vacation must be approved in advance by the Pastor • The church facilities will be available as needed. • Absence due to illness or emergency is to be brought to the Senior Pastor’s attention immediately. • Any difficulties or challenges are to be brought to the Senior Pastor’s attention for assistance; triumphs and accomplishments are to be shared with Senior Pastor and fellow staff for celebration. • Termination of Employment may be initiated by the employer or employee at any time, as long as sixty days (60) written notice is presented to the opposite party prior to the date of departure • With sufficient cause, failure to adhere to the responsibilities outlined may result in immediate termination.
We are committed to:
Connecting persons to Jesus Christ
Connect with broken and hurting people
Challenging people to grow and celebrate a relationship with Jesus Christ
Equipping them and partnering with them to serve in God-powered ministry